the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with dead frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burbers7o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with dead frogs
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:39pm
Hello, 

I've got a wildlife pond that is in it's first year so I'm new to this!
We've got plenty of tadpoles etc in there but I've just spotted a large dead frog belly up at the bottom of the pond with the tadpoles eating it.
Should I leave it in there or will it cause issues?
I don't know what it died of so I was worried it might spread any disease to the tadpoles? 

Hopefully someone can help me out....
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
i would suggest removing it and disposing of it elsewhere - the odds are it won't spread any disease any more than it already has done, if indeed it has one, after all it may just have died of old age! - but such a large rotting object in the pond may affect water quality. i am however, no expert on such things
Burbers7o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burbers7o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:37pm
Thanks for your input chubsta, it's much appreciated!
I am trying to keep the pond as natural as possible and I know things die and decompose in ponds naturally, I just don't want to harbour any disease!
It's at times like this I have to think "what would Attenborough do?"!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:38pm
I think it is good advice. 

It may have died from exhaustion after the breeding season or some other non-disease related cause, but probably wise not to take the chance and not to leave it in there to rot.
PondDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PondDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm
On the other hand, a dead frog is a substantial amount of food to nourish the tadpoles and could give them quite a boost, especially in a new pond where food might be limited. I don't think there is a 'right' answer here - you could easily argue it either way.
Burbers7o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burbers7o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
Thanks for your opinions! There's nothing else for it.... I'm gonna flip a coin in the morning!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by PondDragon PondDragon wrote:

On the other hand, a dead frog is a substantial amount of food to nourish the tadpoles and could give them quite a boost, especially in a new pond where food might be limited. I don't think there is a 'right' answer here - you could easily argue it either way.

take the frog out and put a sausage in...
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:47am
I think it depends on the size of the pond and the likelihood that it will foul the water.  In my pond I leave the frogs that die under the ice in a cold winter and wait for the tadpoles to eat their dead relatives in the spring.  Does that sound macabre?  the circle of life, and all thatWink
Burbers7o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burbers7o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:19am
I tossed a coin this morning! It's staying in!
Thanks again for everyones comments! It reall is much appreciated!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
lol, well as good a way to decide as any. 

I hope your taddies enjoy their slightly macabre feast Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic