the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slowworm pits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:57pm
@Gemma - thanks for the suggestion.  Playing devil's advocate I can see people asking how we know the vaseline didn't get wiped off/interfere with their nostrils/do we need them to wear tiny blindfolds to make it a properly controlled experiment etc etc and then you have the problem of getting the little darlings to feed in an observable setting like a small vivarium and also the question of controlling for size, appetite etc.

I think a good quality scanning electron micrograph would be a start, but you'd need a dead animal for that - oh, and a good quality SEM as wellLOL

@Caleb - interesting, I hadn't considered that possibility - if analagous to femoral pores then only males should have them - ought to be easy enough to photograph females to see if this is the case.  If so, how would they be used in the secretive world of the slowworm, I wonder?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:26pm
I've read the results of experiments using Vaseline Will, though usually to be fair it is used to cover up much large 'pits' or the nostrils. I do not think they need mini blindfolds lol.

I like Caleb's suggestion, the small size does seem to suggest secretion rather than detection. General males only have femoral pores, in some species of reptiles both species have them present but they are generally larger in the males. 

I would suggest checking images of males and females is the next logical step in the investigation.

You are just going to have to get to the bottom of it Will!

Edited by GemmaJF - 19 Apr 2017 at 1:28pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
There seems to have been study regarding pheromones in Anguis fragilis, for example:

Reading this research or referenced articles might help Will, as at some point someone may have defined or at least speculated on how the scents are deposited.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:58pm
Thanks Gemma, that's very helpful - I wonder if they linked the ability to use pheromones with these pits?  - as you say, I'll have to get to the bottom of it or I won't be able to sleep at night!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic