the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My prediction for the year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My prediction for the year
    Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 3:38am
we have a similar situation near me -  a local company bought a big patch of scrubland which has been home to adders, grass snakes and hedgehogs. Straightaway they sent the diggers in and levelled it all, destroying everything in it. the council have denied planning permission although appeals are still going on. Following the destruction of the habitat i noticed far more hedgehogs in the village as they lost their most important local habitat. Unfortunately i havent seen a single adder or grass-snake since, despite regularly seeing them previously in areas adjacent to the land which was cleared, so i guess they didn't survive.

Most people are so removed from our natural environment these days i cant imagine many would see a snake and think of it in any other way than being a threat to them, when i was a kid we loved going looking for snakes and slow-worms but i think you are right - it is only a matter of time before one is spotted and the local paper sends an 18-year old trainee to cover the story of the threat to life...
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:05pm
Hi all,

ok so here goes my prediction for this year with regard to Grassies.

I don't know of any mitigation undertaken for the Bishops Stortford railway sidings that have just begun to be redeveloped.

But I do know that Grassies hibernated in the disused yards and used them for cover during the summer from where they would swim in the Stort on occasion.

I predict that there will be a spate of Grassie sightings in the town this year as any that do survive the complete destruction of habitat adjoining the Stort banks will have nowhere to go and will end up on local housing areas and shops etc, and we'll hear more b*lls**t about dangerous venomous snakes being a danger to kids in play grounds.

There, let's see if it comes true.

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic