the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What should I do with this newt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do with this newt?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 4:13am
Hi there, I wondered if you could help me... I took a newt out of our pond a few days ago because it was floating around on the top of the water, on its back, and very bloated around its back half. I think it is a female smooth newt?

I came across some advice given to somebody else about making a temporary home from damp moss, and that's what I've done. The bloating has now gone thankfully, but it's still not very active and only moves in bursts. It does hide away from sunlight okay. It can submerge in water now but only seems to swim with its front legs (the back ones do move when it walks) and only sort of uses its tail. It gets swept along with any movement of the water very easily. The poor thing does have a point on its back which does not look good :( I nearly released it but then the freezing weather came along and I wasn't sure of the least cruel thing to do. I don't want to keep it out of its environment any longer than I have to but I feel stuck. I've tried feeding it a tiny mealworm since that's all I have, but it isn't interested at all. Other than that I'm just leaving it alone and letting it hide away.
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
I don't know anything about newts, but this might help https://www.arc-trust.org/newts-faqs
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:08am
If you still have it, the best thing to do would be to keep it moist and cool (ideally 5-10C) until you can release it. It won't need feeding at this temperature. I'd recommend releasing on land when the weather warms up a little bit. 

It does look like it's had a spinal injury, but newts can recover from these. It'll probably always have a kinked spine if it does survive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic