the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sympatric Vipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sympatric Vipers
    Posted: 13 Jan 2004 at 1:33pm
Tony,

I would have thought the V. ursinii complex (V. renardi etc.) and Gloydius in C. Asia would be obvious potential examples. Also V. latifii and Gloydius in the Elburz Mtns of northern Iran. Goran Nilson and Nikolai Orlov would have more info.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
ighira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ighira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 6:57pm

Hi Tony,

In S-W Romania in some areas V. berus and V. ammodytes are sympatric. And the yhybridise. Hybrids look like V. aspis, but not all. Some are berus-like and some ammodytes-like.

The altitude is low (4-600 m asl) and the microhabitat  consists of rocky slopes with scree, rock plies and bushes.

Ioan 

ighira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ighira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2004 at 10:41am

At this time, there is little information published.

Ghira, I., 1991 -External morphology of some isolated populations of Vipera ammodytes ammodytes (Linnaeus,1758) at the northern limit of its areal, Proc.Sixth Ord.Gen.Meet., S.E.H.,Budapest,p.183-186

Venczel, M., Ghira, I., 1994  -A preliminary study on the osteology of nose-horned viper (Vipera ammodytes ammodytes L.1758) from Boiu de Sus, Romania, "Sargetia" Series Sciencia Naturae, XVI,p.145-150

Ghira, I., 1994 -Morphological features, ecological aspects and phylogenetic implications of a natural hybrid population of vipers (Vipera ammodytes ammodytes x Vipera berus berus) in Romania, Abstracts, Second World Comgress of Herpetology, Adelaide, South-Australia, p.97 

We try to do molecular analyses (DNA sequencing), habitat prefferences of hybrids and venom analyses.

If you think it could be written in your book, it is OK. Please let me know what details (including photos) you need.

Ioan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic