the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photographing adders wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photographing adders wrong?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 3:44pm
Is taking photos of adders wrong??  Interesting article in todays Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/13/animal-cruelty-death-camera-phone-selfie-giant-python 
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
Of course it's not wrong. What is wrong is disturbing animals when taking photographs. I have been where that photographer was - and his statement re adders is bang to rights. Like him I grew out of it and came to my senses - now even my animals at home are photographed without disturbance with a long lens.
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 7:06pm
I've no doubt that photographing adders can significantly disturb them and cause small populations in particular to abandon traditional hibernacula etc - this has happened in Epping Forest, for example.  A friend of mine was photographing an adder (from a path, with a long lens) in the Forest a week or two ago when a party approached him and asked if they could also photograph the snake.  He agreed (what else could he do?) at which the 'leader' proceeded to hook the snake out of the vegetation and plonk it in front of the rest of them, so they could get their photos.  The doubtless traumatised animal was then replaced after the party were satisfied.  OK, so this is not as bad as adder-bashing that happened more often in the past, and if adders were common it might not be so bad, but many populations are isolated and fragmented and as such pressure from photographers could be the final nail in their coffins.  There was talk of raising the protected status of the adder to that of smooth snake and sand lizard a while ago, in which case it would require a licence to approach them for photography, but I've not heard any more about this for a while.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:30am
Hi will that proves to me that lots of shots are stage managed and not real unposed ones like some of mine in the past, and of course Epping forrest of today gets to much traffic and there seems to be some one there at all times even in the once isolated glades tramping through or dog walkers letting them off leads apart from night and day time revellers drinking and shagging going by some of their litter they leave dangling in the beer can strewn bushes!.
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 5:51pm
Well, recently I was on holiday down Devon and on the way back from the beach I spotted this little beauty crossing the path and took a quick snap from about four feet away. She was trying to climb up the steeper side of the path opposite from where it had come from. Now I posted this pic on facebook and got absolutely slaughtered for posing an Adder. They accused me of everything, from dropping it to flicking it and more. I explained that I have taken hundreds of photos of Adders and usually from a 400mm + 1.6 adaptor type range and still I got stick. Its a shame all these amateurs are now giving the genuine studyists (if that's a word) a bad name!
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 5:55pm
Hi Chris, I can't get photos to load from files, is there a problem with the soft ware?

Rob
RobV
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:43pm

Hi Rob

Sorry for the delay in replying - I missed your question.

No problem that I am aware of. I will post this with an adder shot I took at one of our Sussex sand lizard sites - again, with a long lens from several feet away with no disturbance. If you see a piccie - it works OK!

All the best
Chris

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:15am

Hi Chris,

no it just says the doc name, then if I try to upload it again, it says doc previously uploaded...

Rob
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:16am
Ahhhhh,

weird, its done it now :-)
RobV
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:29pm
There's nothing like predictability................. and in this case it definitely was nothing like predictability!! Nice shot by the way.
Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic