the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toads spawning by the sea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Do you think the pools would get a dose of seawater if the sea was rough? 

They would certainly get a dose of salt water quite regularly especially at high tide but the fresh water stream that feeds the pools should soon dilute any in a very short time.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:09am
Any thought given to that this may be a new discovered marine toad

Edited by AGILIS - 04 May 2015 at 5:11am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 11:18am
Originally posted by superdart superdart wrote:

Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Do you think the pools would get a dose of seawater if the sea was rough? 

They would certainly get a dose of salt water quite regularly especially at high tide but the fresh water stream that feeds the pools should soon dilute any in a very short time.

Same goes for my sighting i would say - on both points. Just like Superdart's location, there was a source of fresh water close by, although it was no more than a tiniest of trickles.

Hi Keith.

I did feel that if the long, dry spell continued, the tadpoles, in their rapidly diminishing breeding 'ponds', were probably doomed. However, i couldn't have moved them even if i wanted to because i didn't have the means: eg no net, no identified, suitable receptor site in mind and no time to do it either.
Plus there's the risk of potentially spreading infectious disease elsewhere.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 6:41pm
....and also you'd be disturbing a fascinating bit of science and confusing the heck out of their natal instincts!LOL
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:57am
I found this paragraph on the website of the Natural History Society of Northumbria

"Toads and their tadpoles are also able to tolerate slightly brackish water where other amphibians cannot. They can be found in sand dune pools and other ponds that receive sea spray, such as cliff top ponds, salt marshes and where freshwater streams reach the sea, such as at Castle Eden Dene mouth."

http://www.nhsn.ncl.ac.uk/news/cms/common-toad/

Perhaps someone from there can comment?

Edited by Suzy - 05 May 2015 at 8:58am
Suz
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:52am
I've seen common toad tadpoles on the seaward side of the dunes at Castle Eden Dene and Hawthorn Dene. This is still a fair way from the sea, as the beach is very wide.

I thought that both had probably been washed there from further upstream (mainly because the waterbodies were very small and shallow) rather than having been spawned on the beach. 

Further north in Northumberland, common toads live on the beach at Hauxley, though they spawn in big lakes on the landward side of the dunes. These have been shown on TV feeding from the strandline just like natterjacks do (I can't remember the name of the programme, but it was presented by Bill Oddie). 
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:18pm
yes, I remember that - they were feasting on sandhoppers I think, but I can't remember the name of the programme either!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:24pm
Was it this prog?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007zch1
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:19pm
that's exactly the one I had in mind when Caleb mentioned it - thanks Suz - common toads plus sandhoppers, the former looking as if they are in a natterjack-copying contest!
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 6:45pm
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic