the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow-worm numbers!!! please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2006 at 1:04pm

A friend of mine in horsley was doing her gardening and whilst turning some soil came across somthing that looks just like the larva in Steve's picture, but i wasnt totally convinced as it lacked the light coloured tips that are present in the above pictures, are the light tips ever-present or do they appear at a certain stage or perhaps different genders?

Edited by lucym
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2006 at 9:11am

I counted 5 adult females at a site West of Winchester last July.

Mark

Edited by arvensis
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 4:12am

The light organs are even present within the egg - the developing larva glows - according to John Tylers excellent book - I think there is a link to this on another thread.

What I would like to do is collate all the records from reptile recorders - dates, times, location name, etc so that we can pass this onto the glowworm recorder -

I have had some success in finding new grid squares for the species and I am also planning to take biometric data (sounds important dosent it) from two other populations in Surrey and Kent - As I am translocating reptiles in these sites where glowworms occur - the glowworms will also be relocated when they are found to the adjacent habitats - railway. ex allotment chalk downland etc

JC

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 7:14am

Jon,

How do you want to do this? I'm happy to note sightings as I survey.

Are you offering to be collator? and what info would you like? and how to send it?

I would assume you'd want usual grid reference, date, (time) & context (e.g. under tin!)? is met. data of use? maybe thru a PM or email?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 9:38am

Hi Steve

I would be gladly be a collator for glowworm sightings - I would say that all the usual sighting data would be useful - grid reference, dates - under felt/tin or other - in the open even, met data would also be useful aswell as type of habitat - heathland, grassland, woodland etc

PM or email would be fine - any historical sightings over the last five years or so would also be welcome - I will pass info onto Rob the glowworm recorder.

Regards

JC

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2006 at 11:11am
I have seen the glowing eggs in clumps of heathland grass. Much paler glow than the glowing females.
Suz
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 10:52am

So are people going to look out for these little critters - I would welcome any sightings.....

JC

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 12:12pm
I often spot them under refugia and it is no problem to make a note of them on a reptile recording sheet. I've got a couple of records from Kent I'll dig out for you Jon.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 5:20pm
Jon,
     Tried to PM you regarding the site of the 5 females seen last July but you PM limit has been exceeded.

Mark
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 6:30pm

Try again - I have made some room - all records of glowworms are welcome - especially if they are found under ACO's or tins etc

if anyone is interested there is a measurement which people can make - width of the pronotum -

The width of the first scale on top of the head is a good way of aging a larva - so if anyone fancies sending some data on this that would be great.

JC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic