the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Heath Fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 2:24pm
Well done - keep us posted!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 6:06pm
BBC News website.

"Two teenage boys are being questioned following a huge heathland blaze that caused "untold damage" in Dorset.

Three separate fires were believed to have been started deliberately in St Catherine's Hill, Christchurch.

An area the size of 100 football pitches - some 70 hectares (175 acres) - was destroyed on Tuesday.

Police said the boys, aged 14 and 15, and from the local area, had not been arrested but were helping officers with their inquiries."

ChrisR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 10:33pm
I have been up to St Caths today, it is very much devastated. This was my NARRS square 2 years ago and I know it well. I was so angry about it all as you can imagine. But on arriving at the site I soon found a grassie and an adder on the move and finished the day with an 'all 6' day finding 2 grassie, 2 adder, a smoothie, and 1 each of the 3 lizards. Cathy is battered and bruised but she will fight back.

Chris
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:00am
I admire your optimism Chris!  thanks for updating us - what's the damage on the other - ie Sopley - side?
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:24am
I think Sopley was untouched after initial reports on the local radio that the strong winds were blowing it in that direction.

Your old haunts appear safe this time Will.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 1:27pm
Easter Sunday.

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:08pm

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:19pm
This morning - Monday - was hot, and Common Lizards, Sand Lizards, Adders and Grass Snakes were active on the blackened surface, and vulnerable because of the lack of cover. The size of the burnt area is horrifying, but the blaze does seem to have skimmed only the top of the soil. Anything even slightly buried was probably unhurt. Only one burnt body was found, an adder's.

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 3:27pm
Two more.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 6:08pm
@Ray - thanks for reassuring me about Sopley.

Well done to all rescuers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic