the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:04am
an interesting record - I had assumed with all the building works at the 'castle' itself they would definitely have been tipped over the edge, but evidently not - even if they have been displaced down the hill a bit. BTW I failed to find any Lb's at Boscombe yesterday in spite of decent weather; I know it's probably a bit early but I think numbers are well down on a decade ago.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:17am
I think the 'collectors' have been about already.

I spoke to 3 men with fishing rods and lizard nooses just last week who told me they were "Just counting the lizards because we don't have any where we come from..." (Which was apparently Mansfield.)

Sadly, very difficult to do anything about.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:39am
Wow - sounds like a concerted effort to catch some lizards for commercial purposes, maybe? I hope they don't start on the Aesculapians...
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:15pm
Or Sand Lizards...
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:05am
Perfect conditions yesterday for reptiles at Winspit.

All sizes and colours on display.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:20am
that's well spotted - in more than one sense!  unusual to see such a green female at the bottom, already swelling up with her eggs.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:41am
Hi rags cant say I am not envious of you location and seeing thing as I have not been in Dorset herping for a while keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 5:55pm
Thanks Will. I saw two or three apparently gravid females along the stone piles, which suggest this population is still going well. Also found some of last years juveniles. It was my first ever visit to the site so I can't say how numbers compare to previous years. Comments in older threads seem to suggest it was historically a fairly large colony.

Hi Keith, having only lived in Dorset for a little over two years it still feels like I'm on an extended holiday. Prior to that I lived in a county which has practically no adders!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:22pm
Love Portland for the archaeology - industrial and prehistoric, and those neat lizards! 
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:26am
Hi Rags I find it a it hard to believe your not having much luck in seeing adders I have found them bountiful in Purbeck and surrounding area. with smoothies being the dominent species. Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic