the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards - Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:01pm
Took the family to the beach at Boscombe for the day, hoping to maybe see a wall lizard but spotted a Western Green Lizard basking on a wall instead.  Laden with buckets and spades so couldn't get a photo, but they are quite impressive Big smile
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:42am
Nice sighting Hawley. The green lizards have been difficult to spot this year.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:38pm
A long overdue update = 

Wall Lizards still visible in high numbers along the promenade at Bournemouth and Boscombe.

I have also seen a few at Durlston (Swanage) and one sunning itself at Corfe Castle last month. I haven't been to Portland or Winspit this year so can't comment on the populations there.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 12:53pm
Hi Ray - I've a very brief break in Wimborne next week, so will try to check out a few sites myself.  I'm guessing after years of poor hatching this summer's weather could see a reprieve for wall and green lizards in Dorset.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:32pm
am going on holiday to dorset in a few weeks so will try to go on a lizard hunt!
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 10:17am
Good luck 'Chubsta' I'm sure you'll spot something. 

Hi Will, I've not been about much this summer to check out how populations are doing. As previously stated, I'm not sure the different colonies to the west of Bournemouth pier have been affected by the weather patterns of the last couple of years. They just seem to plough on regardless - (as assessed by the Hamilton wandering method of scientific counting!)

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
fine photos Ray!  any sign of bilineata at Boscombe recently?
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:15am
" any sign of bilineata at Boscombe recently?"

Sorry Will, I've not had many chances to check this year. August is a good month for them usually but now the weather has got wet and cool... Let us know how you get on if you manage to fit in a trip to the coast from Wimbourne.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:05pm
great pics
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:45pm
Thanks Tom.

FYI Will - just had a late evening walk along the overcliff and there is a length of newly burnt area on the edge of the cliff at Portman Ravine (once again).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic