the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The odd behaviour thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 12:37pm
thanks for the additional possibilities Caleb. Am I right that the tadpoles of certain species have their growth inhibited through ingestion of certain microorganisms in the faeces of other tadpoles? if so, the disadvantage of faecal ingestion would seem to outweigh any short term nutritional benefit and you might expect it to be selected out, I guess? I think the competition argument is more convincing, although from the individual tadpole's perspective what you gain in aggregating might be lost (and even outweighed) by increased intraspecific competition (as the niche would be closer for conspecifics than between species, presumably).
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Am I right that the tadpoles of certain species have their growth inhibited through ingestion of certain microorganisms in the faeces of other tadpoles?

Yes, I believe so. I was under the impression (though I might be wrong) that this is mainly microbes from later stage tadpoles inhibiting early stage ones- so the ones that grow on fastest get a bigger share of the food, meaning that at least some should be able to metamorphose if food or water runs low.

This leads to the question of whether shoaling tadpoles are always of similar size... 
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 2:32pm
good point - if they are siblings then you would expect this to be roughly true I guess.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 11:43am
Thanks for posting the references Caleb. I guess with these things it is always a chicken and egg thing, any one of the reason could be why they do it and all could be valid reason for why they continue to do it. It would appear there is some advantage to it though rather than they do it because they can!

I'll be looking out next year to see if I can gauge if all the animals are the same or similar size. Something makes me think that smaller ones do get in on the act but are peripheral to the main mass of tadpoles, but I'm relying on memory of observations from several years ago so most likely totally unreliable.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 3:17pm
Think this is another excellent idea for a thread and really enjoying reading the contributions - cheers all!
Dave Fixx' November Adder in the "Herp a day" thread reminded me that in recent years i've seen various UK species (inc 1 herp) out of season:

EG
Crested Newts in breeding dress in November, egg-laying in early January (although the latter activity was briefly interrupted by a cold snap)

Field Blewits Lepista saeva springing forth in March (normally Oct/Nov)

Dryad's Saddle Fungus Polyporus squamosus fruiting in November (normally spring)

and how about this Suz, i found some Cow Parsley Anthriscus sylvestris in flower just last week (05/11/14) . There were several plants in bloom:

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 2:49pm
Hello folks

While watching frog mating balls a-rollin' an' a-tumblin' in a pond last month, something caught my eye.
Up came a pair of males, one of which was trying to mate with a fem GCN - and crushing the very life out of the poor girl.

I know this isn't THAT odd, that frogs and toads quite often get it wrong and try to mate with other species like goldfish and even people's hands (RobV), but this was the first time i'd seen this particular mismatch myself.
Anyway, i managed a couple of hasty pics before the ball disappeared under the water again:

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 2:32pm
Did you try to rescue the newt?

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 3:15pm
Hi Richard,

No, i couldn't have reached it from where i was. Of course i felt very sorry for it and did contemplate trying to find a stick or something, but the 'species ball' quickly disappeared under the pond weed again anyway. I waited a while to see if it would resurface, but it didn't.

BTW I'm really enjoying the book and for what my opinion's worth, would echo both the comments on the dust jacket and the feedback of forum members. So much of it chimes with me too, from the first tingles of dedicated excitement and wonder through resultant familial discord to collecting tea card sets. I love the fact that it has such a broad scope of accessibility and it's honest - when a memory was hazy, you simply owned up.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 6:06pm
great sighting BenClap.  For what it's worth, when I've seen frogs grab large GCN they have always released them within a few minutes, but of course that's not a guarantee that this one would get away...
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:06pm
Thanks Will. I guessed others here would have seen it happen but couldn't recall seeing any pics of it on the forum - at least since i've been a member. So hopefully a worthwhile share!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic