the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please Will

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 7:50pm
great camo eyes[URL= ][/URL]
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:28pm
We found two of these in the garden a fortnight or so ago. As there was a weeding campaign they had to be moved onto other willow herbs. Absolutely amazed at how quickly they stripped the plants, for such sluggish seeming creatures. Funny thing is we've never seen the moths in the garden.
Suz
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 1:51pm
Post deleted.

Edited by arvensis - 07 Sep 2014 at 10:29am
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 9:48pm
I had cause yesterday to wade through a few of my gone wild grassy areas and there were various types of moths flying or stumbling about. I have to say I am fairly underwhelmed by drab looking moths such as in your photo. However I was thrilled at 8pm yesterday when a hummingbird hawk moth flew in as I was sat watching for bats. It spent 10 minutes on my verbena plants. This makes me a moth snob I guess. I like the colourful or larger moths but apart from that...

Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by arvensis arvensis wrote:

Post deleted.

I liked it Thumbs Up

I built my own moth trap many moons ago, wooden box with a light bulb and egg boxes, probably got the idea off the telly. Something I should do again because I like the butterflies of the night, be them big and exciting or small and brownish. Wink
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 8:28pm
Arvensis, I do hope I didn't cause you to delete your post! I was just trying to say that plain looking moths do nothing for me. I've set up moth attracters in my garden in the past (inspection lamp lit behind a white sheet hung up) - lots came along, but nothing wildly exciting to my eyes. However I've been on an RSPB event where two enthusiasts  set up with light and egg boxes and they were very excited by the range of species.The other members of the public present only got interested when a hawk moth flew in - so it's not just me. I'm not wild about lichen, liverworts and mosses, but I know they are some folk's passion.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 6:48pm
I'm a bit confused, which of these are Migrant hawkers and / or Southern Hawkers and / or none of the above ??????

undefined

RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:41pm
nice pics!  I'd go common darter above, migrant hawker below.
natrix5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natrix5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 5:21am
Agree with Will.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 8:42am
Hi WILL I see plenty of them around the Stoboro area spose you do as well keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic