the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New book may be of interest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 6:37pm
My Dad found mine, had to release it soon afterwards. Cry Shame he knew exactly what it was, as I had got away with keeping just about everything else I found LOL
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 6:24pm
Cold Blood was just selected on R4's 'Pick of the Week', too - 'full of gorgeous description' was the phrase used about the book by the presenter!
Wrynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Richard2 Richard2 wrote:

This is my book Cold Blood, published today. Part nature writing and part memoir, it tells the story of my childhood fascination with reptiles and amphibians, combining that story with observations about these animals in Britain now. One chapter was informed by an interview with Chris Davis about Sand Lizard reintroduction. At very least, I hope the book will raise public awareness of reptiles and amphibians a bit. It was reviewed in several of the papers last week, and will be a Radio 4 Book of the Week in July. 

Richard Kerridge

Ordered and I am awaiting it's arrival. Awesomness. I am very excited :)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:16am
Finally started to read your book Richard. Was hoping to sit down by the pond and start it but with the delays in construction I had to settle for the sofa on a wet October day. Fortunately your writing is transporting me back to wonderful summer memories of childhood so that hasn't worked out so bad after all.

I must take exception though to reference of what I can only think is of myself when writing about the licensing of torch surveys for GCN. I'm not a 'conservationist', god forbid. I'm an ECOLOGIST LOL

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:42am
My apologies, Gemma. Yes, you were certainly one of the people I had in mind, though I have had this debate with others as well. Surely you are an ecologist AND a conservationist. They are not incompatible callings.

I am very pleased indeed that you are enjoying the book; I wondered what your feeling about it might be.

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 11:02am
I always think of conservationists as those trying to stop time or wind the clock back. Sadly there is often more harm than good done in the process 

I'm far more interested and focused in the now attempting to preserve/extend current ecosystems and look at the possibilities of creating new ones. I think that makes me like a toad focused in the now! My comment was very tongue in cheek in any case. Wink

Really enjoying the book, so many shared experiences and love the thoughtful way you have approached conveying your own relationship with wildlife. I've been accused a lot of being sentimental about wildlife. The fact is I'm really not, I just find it exciting and fascinating. I think it would be a great shame if others never had the chance to discover it, when it is just beyond their back door step and one only has to take the time to look.

Pleased to read also that toads grow from mud and slime. I should have plenty in the spring judging by the state of the wildlife garden after the pond restoration. LOL

Iulia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 12:21pm
must get a copy 
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:39pm
Brilliant read Richard, been a long time since I couldn't put a book down and I've made every excuse to sit down and read it through from start to finish. 

I had a very similar relationship with my Father, who passed away when I was 19. Towards the end we did get closer but he was extremely ill. I do remember though one day during his illness, him coming in and saying 'grass snakes behind Canons' this statement meant plenty to me as Canons was a local factory backing onto a complex of flooded gravel pits where for many years I had suspected grass snakes to be. 

I hadn't thought about this for years, or how it meant that even in his illness he still knew this was vitally important information to me. He had been talking to a local by the factory and clearly had made his way home briskly with the news, almost as if it were of military importance! Reading your book brought back so many memories and parallels it is almost spooky. Lucky we are to have our love of reptiles and amphibians, and lucky is  the reader who picks up your book and gains an insight of why they are so important to us.

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 7:57pm
On the train on Saturday on my way down to the ARC/BHS Scientific Meeting in Bournemouth I picked up a bit of an abandoned newspaper. It was The Guardian's Review section for Saturday 6th December which had some reviews of 2014 and on page 9 they had Stephen Moss reviewing the best nature writing.  The penultimate paragraph of the article states:

The flourishing genre of nature-based memoirs is represented by Cold Blood by Richard Kerridge (Chatto & Windus). Subtitled "Adventures with Reptiles and Amphibians" this is a funny, moving and compulsively readable account of the author's boyhood obsession with these often neglected creatures.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:28pm
In the end I bought two copies of Richard's book and kept one for myself to read and donated the other for a prize in the raffle at the Herpetofauna Workers Meeting in Newcastle earlier this month.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic