the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

smooth snake faux pas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:05pm
Often just a day course Richard, but you will need to find out what is currently required because I gained my GCN licence a while back. I was also seeking bottle trapping which involves animal welfare as well as practical knowledge, so did several practical evenings in the field to gain experience with the technique first.

Another way of putting it all, if you collect records (which are part of the licence requirement) you are already engaged in a educational and scientific activity, one doesn't have to be a scientist to do so. So really don't worry about the category it is just wording and NE often seem to be rather non-committal about when a licence is actually required or not. So look on the NARRS site, there are contact details for rarer reptiles, and just choose the Scientific and Educational category when you fill out your application. Nobody will even ask you about previous formal education, it isn't a requirement of any kind.

From your post above I would strongly recommend a licence. It will give you all the freedom you could want with your studies.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 4:50pm
Going directly to NE is not the only way to get licenced for the fully protected species as you can get licenced via the ARC trust for surveying purposes.   

Say you lift a tin and find a Smooth Snake under it and after a little while it starts to move off, which most, if not all animals will do, then that in my opinion would be disturbance.  Same goes for if someone sees a Sand Lizard basking and for some reason the person spooks it and it disappears, that surely would be disturbance.

It would be best to get a licence in my opinion.

Mark

Mark
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 10:18am
I love all these ne regulations regarding disturbance specialy by the infrequent visits by keen herpos who mostly stalk them with silent stealth trying our best not to alarm them so we can observe & photo them they are disturbed every day by people walking and letting their dogs frolic among the heather and not forgetting scrambler and quadbikes that these days have become much more frequant thrashing their way though once isolated tranquil heaths alas no more.And how many time have you seen notices or anyone regulating these activities perhaps they have a negative disturbance factor with the ne? unlike us Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 27 Apr 2014 at 10:45am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 12:06pm
That's my feeling exactly. At Studland last weekend I was kneeling at the edge of the path and slowly leaning forward to get as else as I could to photograph a basking sand Lizard, while around me people were blithely trotting about on the heath, romping with their dogs and rolling about in the undergrowth with their lovers. Two children ran onto the heather, a boy and a girl. One shouted 'There are snakes here.' 'Nah,' said the other.

I straightened up. 'Actually there are snakes,' I said.

'Cool,' said the boy.

'There are adders,' I said.

'Wow,' said the boy. 'Awesome.'

And they ran on into the dunes. That's how I would have responded at their age.
Hawley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 10:36am
Have you thought about joining SARG (Surrey Amphibians & Reptile Group)?  They survey Frensham & Ash Ranges and will help you get your licence.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 1:30pm
I've always found that herps are extremely tolerant of background disturbance. Hence why they can be found in high concentrations along motorway verges, often live happily beside noisy aircraft and motorsport etc. 

Creeping up on them while they are basking and creeping about in the habitat (especially considering for example that female sand lizards mosaic bask and therefore largely remain cryptic) seems a totally different activity to me. Especially seeing as by habit 'herpos', will return to the same spots where they have seen animals in the past over and over again.

Is it just me or is it getting to be a familiar story on here? Someone asks if they should have a licence as they obviously suspect they probably do. The licence holders generally say well yes probably best to have one. NE are incapable of giving a clear answer. Then there is a whole load of justifications to carry on as normal...

Quite honestly if you reach the  point of thinking 'do I need a licence' the answer is probably yes you do. NE won't provide much help clarifying, it's the other licence holders who are advising here who know what is involved, not only in gaining a licence, but also which activities require one. 

peterh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:33pm

Its all very interesting to me, im really thinking that i would like to earn a licence even if i never get the honor of spotting a smooth snake, i find that through obtaining licences or certificates, qualifications ect ect in whatever area, be it enviromental, electrical or anything else you can think of you learn so much knowledge on the given subject thats its worth doing for just that alone Beer

beauty hides in all things, different eyes see it in different ways.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 3:11pm
Very true Peter and the fact it protects the holder against prosecution under the Wildlife and Countryside Act is handy too. Wink

I've been out there a fair old time and can be very honest that I've met a few people who protested about licencing and they are not always in reality the greatest field herpers you are likely to come across. One can't help wondering if that in part adds to their reluctance to seek a licence for their activities?

Edited by GemmaJF - 28 Apr 2014 at 3:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic