the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving frogspawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uw_photographer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving frogspawn
    Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:45pm
I work in a school and have a 4-foot fish tank (currently unoccupied). I was wondering about taking some frog spawn and some floating plants from my garden pond and placing them in the tank at school, so the students could follow the development from eggs to froglets.

I would propose to leave the tank unheated, and return creatures (and plants) back to the pond before the summer hols.

Any advice welcome

Thanks
Charles Erb
undersea-images.com
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:55pm
Better to use trays of water. The big risk is the water becoming deoxygyenated, a shallow tray provides a great surface area thus helping to prevent it. Provide some pond weed which will have algae (for young tadpoles to graze on) some species will help with oxygenation. It's also an idea to provide extra oxygen supply in the form of a simple aquarium pump.

Common frog tadpoles start of vegetarian and then turn carnivorous, so some provision of live food and separating out the faster developing larva make sense as they develop.

When they are nearly ready to metamorphose, you could then transfer them to the fish tank, with a shallow water area and some land. (It will need an escape proof lid!!)

It's best with froglets to release them very soon after metamorphosis. They never learn glass is a barrier (unlike toads) so can injure themselves if not released soon.

Edited by GemmaJF - 16 Mar 2014 at 8:57pm
uw_photographer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uw_photographer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:00pm
Thanks for the tips
Charles Erb
undersea-images.com
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:25pm
If you put in a pump be sure to bury it in gravel or else it will suck in the tadpole and mush them (I speak from experience!) Also if you do go along the route of using the tank make sure the froglets can get out when the time comes or else they will drown.
Do not keep the tadpole containers in full sun as the warming water will become deoxygenated.

Edited by Suzy - 18 Mar 2014 at 4:54pm
Suz
uw_photographer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uw_photographer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 5:41pm
Thanks for all the advice.
I have put them in a tank with plenty of cover, as well as a rock and a log upon which froglets could clamber. I have the tank only about 10cm deep and have buried a diffuser ring under the gravel, attached to an air pump, so this is oxygenating the water. I put a lump of spawn in there on Weds this week and the embryos have already developed from round black dots to have an obvious tadpole shape. I don't know about the kids, but I'm really excited!

Charles Erb
undersea-images.com
Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:27pm
This posting arrived today, surprisingly late for hatching frogspawn. Then I checked the date! Where has it been since 28th March?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:16pm
I noticed that the post had not been approved this morning.

Unfortunately I'm finding this a lot, where people have posted but the new post has not been seen by admin and therefore not approved, making it 'invisible' to forum members.

I don't know if Chris can look into the issue, as it can't be very encouraging for new forum members and it is a shame that a post like this went unseen.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:38pm
Hi everyone

I had noticed this on odd occasions. I will take it up with the forum designer but I may have to resort to writing SQL code to run periodically to identify such posts.

We shall see ...............

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic