the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizards 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:16am
i wouldn't say much improved. maybe a little. the intention was to illustrate that you will be able to recover any iq lost to noise when using higher iso. you can't really do the same for motion/shake if your shutter speed's too slow.

tom
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Tom Omlette Tom Omlette wrote:

i wouldn't say much improved. maybe a little. the intention was to illustrate that you will be able to recover any iq lost to noise when using higher iso. you can't really do the same for motion/shake if your shutter speed's too slow.

tom

Yep, I meant the noise I could see was improved! It tends to me to 'flatten' an image. Probably not the right term! 

I use to have a bean bag which I made full of split peas which gave really good results as the camera could be very firmly planted in it. Stopped taking it around in the field as it was rather heavy. With the advantage of shooting lizards at home though, I can make a bigger one and not need to worry so much about weight. Smile
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 9:22am
PS Tim, just been through the technical bit again (in all seriousness writing some notes!). Thanks that draws together things I've played about with, I'll certainly give full manual a try, been avoiding it really and staying in a comfort zone!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:24am
One from this morning, not quite the result I expected! Any thoughts on the blown highlights??

I can confirm Tim that the 350D has no auto ISO mode in the 'creative' settings, so I was shooting ISO 800, Av mode.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:37pm
Same lizard, I did try to get closer, so sorry for this long distance shot (in fact the lens wouldn't let me get closer it was physically too big and by this time resting on the same log as the lizard! Guess who's second compact flash card went FULL right after this shot! What a way to spend a Sunday though! Smile

Shot was ISO 800 1/2000  f/5.6 Some sharpening in Photoshop, noise reduced with 'median' as I don't have the later noise reduction option it seems in Photoshop 7.

Quite acceptable I think, still working on camera steadying though.

Plenty of nose rubbing and yawning from this individual this morning, so I'm expecting he's preparing to slough.

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:43pm
looks like the iso might have been too high for the bright conditions. what was the aperture and shutter speed? in bright light you could be at f8-11 and over a 1000th of a second at under 800 iso i reckon.

tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:45pm
posted while you were posting your second pic gemma. that's much better exposure isn't it and nice and sharp. 

tom
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:59pm
The 'blown' shot settings  1/400 f/10 ISO 800

I shot it with Evaluative metering and wondered if that hadn't helped, the lizards head was sticking out catching the sun, but much of the picture background wasn't in full sun, and some areas really quite dark. So I've now switched to partial metering. It seemed logical as our subjects are always best at finding the sunny spots and with these close-ups I'm happy to sacrifice the background a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 2:04pm
in contrasting conditions like that i use spot metering but the camera can still struggle to cope. i think you've probably identified the problem though.  

tom
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 2:37pm
Thanks for the help Tim, shame as I really liked the shot but hopefully I'm on the right track as to why.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic