the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:12pm
Checking my Coroline covers early afternoon and was pleased to see two small toads snuggled up under one. They weren't exactly the same size, but both would be classed as small. I left them to settle down for half and hour and then went back with camera. Unfortunately only one was still there - the larger one. It did the toad puffing up and standing tall trick, rather hilarious when you are not much bigger than a 50p coin.
I am asking you guys if there is a known sociability in toads. I check these covers every day recently and these two had arrived since yesterday. I have mentioned before seeing three or four small toads together under a plastic sheet. So do they move around in groups, follow each other's trails or what? Actually I think small frogs group like this as well, now that I think about it. So is it a protection thing? Doesn't seem to occur with full grown of either species.

Suz
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:18pm
Following the same trails seems more likely. They are on the move back to the hibernacula at the moment, and at any time different individuals are commonly attracted to the same places by the same information in the air, including the chemical signs from other toads. 

Richard
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

So is it a protection thing? Doesn't seem to occur with full grown of either species.

I suspect that pressing closely together is at least partly to do with conserving moisture- I find that captive (terrestrial) newts are more likely to do this when their environment is slightly too dry. It's possible that adult animals get less benefit from this as their smaller surface area-to-volume ratio means they dry out less rapidly.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:01am
Thanks guys. Today there were three small toads under the cover.  
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:05am
Here's the young toads under the cover. I've watered the ground. The soil is a result of ant activity. The toads like to make themselves little nests in it.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:42pm
Our first white frost this morning. Following on from this a nice sunny day. As the first sun hit the Coroline cover by the compost heaps I went and had a look. There were two small toads, 2 newts and about six this year's young slow worms. As happens each year, the adult slow worms are reducing in numbers drastically as I guess they go into hibernation. There are still some about, but nothing like the dozens of them a week or so ago.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 7:46pm
Had some very mild (and wet!) weather here in East Devon just recently. Went out tonight and spotted two frogs and a palmate newt in the small pond. Here's one of the frogs and the newt showing the webbing on a hind leg.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 7:26pm
Well done for keeping us going Suzi. Good to see the bloodlines on your East Devon Herp Smallholding doing as well as ever   

While driving the other day i noticed the idea is catching on....

Toad and toadstools (Mycena inclinata), 6th November, Gloucestershire

Slow worm 7th November, Wiltshire graveyard

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:27pm
Ha Ben!
Well done to you too. My slowies seem to have gone to ground, considering it is still mild I am a bit surprised there aren't any youngsters still about. Mind you the weather has been so wet that I've not been looking every day. Must try and get out each day and check covers.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:34pm
Couple of December amphibian sightings to keep us going then folks. Still had no frosts here (Gloucester) yet.
All pics are in situ.

Spotted resting at the surface on 11/12/15:

Very mild and wet last night, so no surprise to see Rana t afoot. This one stopped still long enough for me to get a hastily-taken pic:

Also from 12/12/15, an unexpected encounter:

Seen much lately Suzi (or anyone)?
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 195>
  Share Topic