the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 12:40am
Walking past my ponds as the light was fading I spotted something with a long tail lolopping across the surface of the duckweed. I felt sure it was a tadpole/froglet so I shot in and got my camera and managed this image. This pond has 100% duckweed cover so I never get views of the tadpoles I released in there, except little black bullet points across the pond where they are breathing on the surface.

Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 12:47pm
thanks suz. that was alonso:

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:04pm
Lovely Tim! 
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

thanks for opening up the thread again Suz - especially that bit about newborn slowwworms which has a particular interest for me, it fits in with similar observations regarding adders and smooth snakes as you know.

Hi Will, Suz and everyone.

I too have been finding tiny slow worms for several weeks at multiple locations Will.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 11:15pm
Although it's been hot here in East Devon I think we've had it a bit cooler than many places. I looked under my covers at 5.15pm and was surprised to find small frogs and slow worms. We have often commented on here about finding herps under covers when it is hot enough to fry an egg on them. The toad wasn't there, but I've seen it there in hot conditions as well.

A few newts seen tonight. Here's one...

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 10:27pm
Just before 9pm tonight I found these two toads under separate (by about just over a yard) covers. I took the photos with a flash. Not obvious from photos, but the redder toad is smaller than the other one.

Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 12:19pm
lovely toads suz

tim

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 1:24pm
Thanks Tim. At least they don't leap off like any frogs that use another cover. In fact the toads don't usually move at all. Most of my frog photos turn out to be blanks when I download them, or have a blur that was a frog.
Suz
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 10:11pm
Borrowed this regular inhabitant from under its ACO this morning to show kids attending a Wildlife Trust Watch Group reptile walk on a farm knowing there was little chance of the kids actually seeing anything on the walk.

Didn't take a photograph this morning so this is one from last month.
However, when I returned the youngster later this afternoon a couple of slow-worms were sheltering under that ACO from the showers.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 12:25am
Was out looking in my large pond the other night and saw a newt climbing out. Tonight between 11.30 and midnight I saw more newts in one evening than I think I've ever seen. Quite a few seemed intent on leaving the water and weren't too bothered by me photographing them. When I downloaded the images I spotted a froglet. The smaller pond had a frog by the edge and one in the water.
I am heartened to be finding baby frogs near the ponds in the vegetation recently.

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 195>
  Share Topic