the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:22pm
nicely done ben!

tim
tbonexsoccer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbonexsoccer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 11:41pm
The first adder I've ever been  able to photograph. I was so happy to find one. It was a hissy female. Could she be more tempered if she had eggs as she was fairly thick.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:01am
Rather a nice shot - most adder shots appear to be posed, simply because that is how they normally behave. A bit different this time. I doubt that there would be much suggestion of carrying young yet - we're only just in the mating season still. Probably just irritated as being harassed by either a) too many males or b) human beings!Still a nice shot by virtue of being a tad unusual.
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbonexsoccer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 1:30am
Yeah I'm sure she wasn't happy to see me or the numerous dog walkers very close to her hang out.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:05am
Chris wrote: 'I doubt that there would be much suggestion of carrying young yet - we're only just in the mating season still.'

...unless she is carrying her young over Chris, which is something we have speculated about before, along with the same possibility in smooth snakes.  Nigel Hand, who works with adders in the Malverns, found a dead female in Feb 2013 which had full grown young in her when she was dissected. 

@tbonexsoccer - if you spot her again, could you get some pics from above if poss, so we can see her shape?  Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbonexsoccer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 10:35am
Thats interesting will. I do have this picture if it helps.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:42pm
Thanks for that, hard to tell being a stocky snake, but the first one certainly made her look plump!  I've seen quite a few today that look similar, so will start a new thread on this under 'adder'.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 7:14pm
beautiful shots! haven't seen any adders at all yet here in the South East (specifically the coastal path between Dover and Folkestone) 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 11:37am
Hey folks, this thread's gone quiet! Something to keep us going then...

Sandwiched between a recently mown churchyard and a disused canal and discretely nestled among the attractive yet deadly poisonous, Hemlock Water Dropwort Oenanthe crocata plants, were 3 good old-fashioned (weathered, corrugated) tins 3 or 4 metres apart. They've been there for a few years and always yield results in moderate-to-good conds, but this visit brought my biggest crop yet:

8 Grass Snakes and 6 Slow worm.

The scene L-R:

Adult and juv Grassies:

Cheers

Edited by Liz Heard - 09 May 2015 at 11:38am
superdart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 9:14pm
Very nice....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 195>
  Share Topic