the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 10:40pm
 "...and I was lucky to see the last dinosaur disappearing into the sunset as well. "

I bet it was walking towards Lyme Regis.

Must say it was a really nice walk down Alum Chine to the beach this morning.

A quick check of the usual spots today. Although the puddles remained frozen over, when the sun came out it was fairly warm.

These from a different area of the promenade to the previous postings.
A single adult warming up.

Also two of last years hatchlings.

Still no Zootoca about yet.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 10:58pm
This one at 10.50 tonight. Temp 6degC.

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 5:29pm
I know this doesn't count (no photo), but I saw a newt coming up for air in my larger pond at 4pm. The ponds have been frozen for days and, although the sun melted the ice today, dull cold days have meant no melting.
It is now clear with the temp going down again so will soon freeze up again. I will have a quick look later.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:30pm
Milder today with no ice on ponds - but instead a strange scum/dust. Saw this one at 9.30pm - temp 4degC.

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:35pm
Went out at 9.10 tonight to look in the ponds. It has rained a little bit (our first proper rain for weeks) and the temp is up to 6degC.
This frog was sat on the pond edge. I think it's been in the pond as it has duckweed on its back. Whether it's been holing up in the pond during this cold snap is another thing.

I did see two newts, but the pix I took require too much imagination and are even worse than last night's ones! I'm hoping some rain might disperse the scummy surface of the larger pond.
Suz
VickyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VickyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:49am
Hello all, I would just like to say that I have very much appreciated this thread from when I discovered it last year in autumn (yes, I was sad enough to read it from the start!). I have not been able to contribute yet but I did see a smooth newt in my garden last year and plan to dig a pond this year so I have high hopes!

Thanks all for your superhuman efforts to post a pic every day, no mean feat!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:50pm
Another mild day in East Devon, with a few hours of sunshine, but also heavy rain. Stood by the ponds watching for newts surfacing and saw a few. Went out at 6.30 this evening and saw four newts but only this photo has come out. Hoping for a frog later tonight...

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:31pm
Just been outside pond watching. Saw newts in both ponds. The pair below may have been involved in some displaying as one newt had its tail curled. I only noticed the newtlet in the second image when I downloaded the camera (to the right of the lower newt). 6deg C outdoors. Sorry about the camera flash reflection.

Edited by Suzy - 14 Feb 2015 at 8:32pm
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 9:07pm
Mainly dull day here in East Devon. Went out at 8.40 tonight to look at the ponds, little realising the temp. had gone down to 2degC. I didn't expect to see anything with this low figure, but this newt was in the canal round the pond edge.

Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 12:15pm
First bundle of the year - actually taken yesterday on the 17th February but didn't get a chance to upload it - another lovely day again today here in Kent and quite a few more in the pond now, although they are active enough to leg it when they see me coming...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 195>
  Share Topic