the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 9:34pm
feeling a bit guilty over lack of posts recently...sorry :(

i would like to see the thread continue into 2015 but as will says we really have relied on you suz so its up to you really. 

december slowies have to be the highlight for me. i wonder if they'll show up again this month.

question - are the newt tadpoles just overwintering or will they still be feeding/developing albeit at a much slower rate?

tom
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 10:43pm
Thanks Tom.
There are quite a number of these young newts, some very small. Be interesting to see if they put a spurt on in spring when the water warms up.
I was hoping to go out and bag a frog tonight as well, but the temp is now zero so very little chance.
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:47pm
Very mild here in East Devon today. A steady 12degC and wet.
These photos taken just after 8.30 tonight.
The adult newt in this photo was close to several newtlets. Also in close up it might have been interested in a leech-like creature as a meal. I guess the newtlets too!

Also a couple of newts on the move in the smaller pond.

A frog in the small pond too...

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:13pm

The camera decided to add some blue spots to the water starwort and the frog for some strange reason!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:19pm
Been away for a few days, so with the temps still being 11deg plus I thought I'd do a pond recce this evening. Lots of newtlets about and one adult newt doing that squirming about in the duck weed.
Oops no newtlet photos as I've gone over my photo limit.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
Christmas Eve male Smooth Newt

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 12:58am
Well done Ben. On zero here tonight and I've run out of space on my allocation for posting, so perhaps just as well there's nothing to see!
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:21pm
Dilemma...went out mid evening and saw quite a few newtlets, two newts and a frog (temps 10/11 here today, rain all day). I can't post the images, as I said I've overdone my limit.
Maybe Gemma will trust me! I have the photos....
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 10:51pm
What a shame Suz! That your thread-saving, determined enthusiasm should be so cruelly halted at the 11th hour.
Will we do this 'Herp a day' thing again for 2015 and will you get a fresh photo allocation (like annual leave entitlement) in Jan i wonder?

Hope so!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 10:41am
I trust you Suz Smile

You could upload the images to a third party photo hosting site like Photobucket, or Flickr, then link the images to  your posts to get around the limit.

Hopefully Chris will see your posts and increase (or remove???) your upload limit. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 195>
  Share Topic