the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 10:51am
well, after years of saying I'd stick with the versatility of a 'bridge style' camera, and then seeing photos like yours, taken with a DSLR, I have slowly been upgrading via lenses and bodies, and saving my pennies, and looking to go for a Nikon D7100 to go with my Micro Nikkor 105mm micro/macro lens. I bought the micro lens last year and paired it with a Nikon D3200, which I bought on the cheap from a mate. The results were OK, but I want something even sharper, so spent the last few months saving! I now need to upgrade the photographer, as well as the equipment...
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 3:16pm
Did a Smooth Newt egg search in the pond today, no sign of any eggs yet. Shall pop out after dark see if any adults are out and about. 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 5:23pm
Common Frog, Glos 17.04 8/1/14

taken with a Canon SX50 HS bridging camera im afraid.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
nice one ben. i can put my feet up this evening then!

will the d7100 looks really awesome and i have used the 105mm vr and it is super sharp. that's a great combo. look forward to seeing some pics.

tom
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 5:48pm
Love that combo, Ben!

Thanks Tim, it should be a good combo provided the idiot behind the lens can get to grips with it. Will be heavy though! I'll post some pics on my flickr stream at some point.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 5:50pm
By the way, Ben - where the hell did you get a frog taddy from at this time of year? I always thought they didn't generally survive overwintering!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 6:21pm
Rest for me too this evening then, well done Ben.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 7:03pm
Will, I think it is now established that common frog tadpoles often do successfully overwinter and it is much more widespread than previously thought throughout the UK.

Paper looking into here:

Not that it distracts in any way from Ben's effort to actually go out and find one or two of them in January!

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 7:44pm
will…get a monopod. one for a tenner off ebay will be fine but even with vr you'll really notice how much steadier it makes your shots and they are less cumbersome than tripods.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 6:28am
Thanks Tim, good tip.

Thanks for the link Gemma - we've said it before, but there's so much to learn about even the 'simple' stuff!  I've never seen one in my various ponds, but I remember one of those Titchmarsh programmes on British Wildlife in which they had a pond up a mountain in Scotland in which almost all the frogpoles overwintered and metamorphosed the following spring.  Just surprised the same thing happens at more reasonable altitudes and latitudes, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 195>
  Share Topic