the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:03am
I listen to hours of the old Pilkington podcasts in my car. He does a great little speech examining the merits and downfalls of being a slug or a beetle noting 'a slug is a lonely insect (his words!), you only see 'em on their own...whereas beetles are always knockin about in groups'. 'If i were a slug i'd just end it all by jumping into the salt pot'. These podcasts are just the funniest thing i've heard in years (available on itunes!) and he's got a head like a feckin orange.
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm
cheers ben that gave the whole family a proper laugh over brekkie this morning.

tim

Edited by tim hamlett - 08 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 11:42pm
glad you enjoyed it Tim. the slug episode Noodles mentioned is also on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Ot-OOvCSgq0&feature=endscreen

1 more for luck then. here, Karl considers aliens, frogs and invertebrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBriD9pNmAM&feature=endscreen&NR=1

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 1:00pm
cheers ben.

caught an episode of extras the other day too. very funny. have to say though his new series 'derek' is cringeworthy!

happy mother's day to all you awesome mums out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHjm5sRqSA

tim
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:34pm
Derek is odd isn't it but Pilkington's character has me in stitches every time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:22pm
its not the characters that bother me, pilkington is funny although he's really playing himself rather than a character isn't he. what bothers me is the singularly unbelieveable situation/story-line resulting from laziness and lack of research.

there are so many versions of this its diffiicult to pick a fave but i think its this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3lkBmNVDrM

tim

ps looks like i'm having the same probs as you now ben...unable to add youtube clips.

Edited by tim hamlett - 12 Mar 2013 at 6:23pm
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:29am
With The Thick Of It and such like the old docu soap has been taken to new heights.  I loved The Office but try watching some parts of it now, it's been so badly parodied over the years that it now looks like a parody of itself. Derek is very much the same. The head carer Hannah was not quite on the docu acting ball, which is always a game wrecker in these programs. My wife and I call it 'too much acthing' after a great League Of Gentleman sketch; "I don't like that Bradley Pitts, too much acthing". In addition they put Coldplay's Fix You over the sentimental bits. Arrrgh, what a cliche!

This'll make you laugh; The Thick Of Its Malcom Tucker referring to the 'unattractive' leader of the opposition, Nicola Murray, as  'blind man's totty', priceless LOL.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

pilkington is funny although he's really playing himself rather than a character isn't he.

a moot point about his character that i ponder Tim.
Gervais and Merchant have strenuously denied that KP (how pleasingly apt that his initials are also a famous brand of nut!) is a role manufactured by them. however the deliciously deranged sweetness of his false logic musings strike me as intelligently-calculated.
despite the fact that he stays in character through "Idiot Abroad" and interviews beyond, i think he knows what hes doing alright.
and it works brilliantly/lucratively!
strikes me that - at the very least - he exaggerates certain aspects of his character for comedic effect.
given the range of his successes/occupations: engineer, producer, DJ, actor, 'author'(ho ho ho!) etc, can he really be THAT ill-informed??
theres certainly footage of him smirking while footage of his 'idiotic' utterances are replayed.

Ricky arguably has a case when he nominates Karl as the funniest man in Britain tho!

what do you lot think?   
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:19am
Everyone's aware of what they're doing to an extent and we're all prone to enhance those aspects of ourselves that are appealing or amusing to others. KP's wit and delivery are actually very typical of Manchester and if human interaction can ever be defined as real, then i think he is. Look at this current TV Essex 'personality' epidemic sweeping the nation, where it is funny to feign an absence of knowledge about a simple concept or object. Now that ain't funny. Where's the wit?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:30pm
Hang on a minute what happened to the music in the music thread?

Some great photos to go along with one of my favourite Led Zep songs.

One thing about the awful weather, I've finally decided to tackle the solo from 'Black Dog', I'm able to wobble through at half speed through about three quarters of it at the moment. Smile 

Edited by GemmaJF - 25 Mar 2013 at 7:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>
  Share Topic