the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:58pm

Thanks Gemma for the tips. Think it should come back to me I hope once I pick up a guitar again. The minors and majors is ringing some bells so will give that a go. Just my fingertips will be sore I know and lines will appear but well worth getting back into.

No worries on the boyzone theme though and understand completely. That track is the only one that I like, but i do think the guitar playing is simple. That's the kind of guitar playing that I wish I could still do. Many years ago I would have picked up the guitar and tried to copy it on hearing the song. I was pretty good at picking up chords too....Smile.

Used to do the same with beatle songs - which of course was the main reason I started to learn to play guitar (plus a bit of help from my brother).

Thanks Tim SmileHeart

And your right about Boyzone too!
I'm more of a Take That fan to be honest Embarrassed but love other music too.

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:55pm
To be honest it isn't the song, it is the fact it is Boyzone, I just hate the way music went from people with talent, ideas or just the shear audacity to get out there and do something to the manufactured bland consumables offered today.

I'm sure Tom Baxter (the guy who wrote the song) is a nice guy and meant it all though! 
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:13am
some great music and musicians on the thread already folks.

something melodic for a miserable bank holiday monday:

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by sussexecology sussexecology wrote:

That's the kind of guitar playing that I wish I could still do. Many years ago I would have picked up the guitar and tried to copy it on hearing the song. I was pretty good at picking up chords too....Smile.

You'll still find it much easier after learning the triads in root position, 1st inversion and 2nd inversion, trust me I spent 10 years playing random chords before I got 'serious' and looked at the theory. I don't really regret that as I only play for pleasure, but when I looked back I did realise how much that approach held me back. In many ways it makes it harder to play the songs than it actually should be if that makes sense. When you know the triads back to front you can use 'economy' in your guitar playing and suddenly you'll be flying!

The song 'Better' is  C major and F major played with a Capo on the 3rd fret, the feels comes from lifting off the second finger on both chords to get the right rhythm and sound. The only other chord is a G but you'll hear that well enough. Certainly worth getting that guitar now I've told you how it is played, I'm sure it will impress your new man Wink (well apart from the permanent lines in your left hand fingertips and short nails LOL)

Oh well, it's a bank holiday, the weather showed some promise this morning, but clouded over at lunch time and now it is raining again.. so lets pep it up a bit! 

(and yes Jimmy Page I still want to marry you even if you are old and grey now!)
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:28pm
Yes Chris,

I agree, what a great build up to a climax. Very clever guitar work. But I also like people that squeeze out a unique sound from their machine, and that's why for me, Stu Adamson sounding like the bag pipes is right up there with the best, take a look, even with it lashing down with rain and water flooding his pick ups he stays un fazed. Brill.

R
RobV
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:29pm
And now time to chill a little.

Once again Mr Page is on fine form.

liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:47am
@Robert V -  not a Martin, I've never been a Martin fan so much - they sound a bit too 'nice' for me if you know what I mean... That guitar is actually a 1910s Supertone and sounded like crap (sold now).

So here is a few that inspire me....

Bukka White

Django Reinhardt -maybe not his best but the only bit of film I know of

Doc Watson - invented a whole style of guitar playing

This just goes to show you din't need to great guitar to make some great sounds (the best video ever on Youtube)

I think some folk here are more into the heavier stuff, so here is the best

and finally some lunacy...  "Lady, you ain't seen nothin'"

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:58pm

I like Clarence the ‘Funky Worm’ by the Ohio Players ‘Clarence plays guitar without any hands...’ (cos he’s a worm, brilliant!) You’ve got to listen to it.

Aside from Clarence on geetar, it’s gotta go to the Sticksmith at the rear any day. When I’m watching music my eyes are drawn to the drummer and god forbid any can or tin that comes my way at home (I’ve trained my son to play the drums on my face, he’s 20mths, it cracks me up!).

I bet there are loads of drummers on RAUK. Anyone into frogs, newts, snakes and lizards must be as mad as the Moon. Not to mention Bonham, but he’s too obvious. My personal favourate has got to be Jimmy Chamberlain (the rimshot king) of Smashing Pumkins notoriety. You just don’t hear the drums being used as an instrument that often and for that reason he must go into my Hall of Fame (along with Reni of The Stone Roses of course!) Now Clint Boon was mental on the Farfisa also....

As for a Pensmith not likely to get a mention here, Lee Mavers was amazing (the only writer to scare Noel Gallagher [apparently] due to his natural ability). Along with The Stranglers ‘Golden Brown’, ‘There She Goes’ must be one of the most strangely beautiful songs ever etched to analogue. However, as with many of the great talents (Ian Curtis RIP) their body of work is frustratingly void, further emphasising the holes they left behind. I won’t go into my taste in synth, it’s too broad, suffice to say The Orb, Plaid or The Black Dog (not Zep) are never far from the top of my (imaginary ipod) CD pile. I tend to play Tangerine Dream songs on the buttons of my dashboard when on long car journeys (why? because it’s fun pretending to be German).

Let’s have some favourite or great lyrics from people.

I always liked:

‘She’s a big freak, going to be freak of the week, she’s a disco loving mamma, at the disco’s where you’ll find her...she’s a dancing interpretation of the meaning of syncopation...don’t give her that one move groovalistic, that disco sadistic....the girl’s a freak, the girl never misses a beat whoo-oo-woo-ohhh’. The FUNKADELICS were just too damn funky for their own good!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:11pm
Probably the lyrics that hit me the hardest of any song I ever heard:

When routine bites hard
And ambitions are low
And resentment rides high
But emotions won't grow
And we are changing our ways
Taking different roads

Love, love will tear us apart again..

Anyone who has been in a relationship knows what it feels like.

Well you did mention Ian Curtis and I kind of had this in mind for today's tune (strangely)
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:24am
Possibly my favourite all time song. At my sister in law's wedding i kept pestering the DJ to play it over and over again. He didn't though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>
  Share Topic