the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:44am
Hearing Enola Gay always makes me think of this one:

Must be the line

"You are a khaki coloured bombadier it's Hiroshima that you're nearing" in the second verse.

I love Sparks, simply for being Sparks Big smile 

You're right Ben too about Enola Gay, it's an amazingly catchy and unusual pop song. 
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:49am

Love it Gemma

Nice little rocker, thanks for posting this

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:57pm

If you want /need to know how really cack you are playing the guitar, watch this. I stood next to this guy at the Hop Farm fest - he was there to see Newton Falkner...

RobV
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Here is my post suggestion for today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRegdR61DU

I absolutely love the guitar playing on this one. I'm not a boyzone fan but I would love this track. Such simple chords on the guitar and yet such a simple song.

I can also relate to the lyrics because it is for someone who is very much in love.  Time for me to reveal it then and is dedicated for a certain colleague of mine (he knows who he is Smile), But then I don't want to embarress either of us, as it's not very professional to make it known esp in front of clients. Mixing work and pleasure is never a good idea but you know it works for us.

@ Liam - am seriously thinking about learning to play guitar again and would welcome any tips as I have forgotten chords completely amongst other things.

Enjoy it Smile.

"I can't conceal this way I feel.....
"I think it's time for me to reveal it, because I believe it......"

"see what i am trying to say is, you make things better..
and no matter what the day is, if your're here, it's better".....

Regards
HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

PS: Hope you can understand why I haven't put his name......

Edited by sussexecology - 06 May 2012 at 6:05pm
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:09pm

Rob

I have kept quiet as I have the musical taste, appreciation, aptitude, skill and knowledge of a stone deaf kipper - but that is truly superb guitar work!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:42pm
Excellent clip Rob, I love it when the videos clearly show what the guitarist is doing Thumbs Up (Shame though it goes out of sink as mentioned in the write up)

Sorry SE - couldn't bring myself to listen to more than 2 bars of Boyzone, shame on me eh?

Here are my best tips for learning chords:

First learn Major, minor, augmented and diminished triads all over the fret board in different keys - if you take the 'book' approach of learning a handful of open chords first they don't make much sense.

When you learn all the triads (it isn't as much as it sounds as they are moveable forms), look at doubling notes in them to make chord shapes and you'll then have all the basic 'book' chords and understand where they came from.

When you get bored of that build triads on the notes of scales. (Harmonized Major and Minor scales are good place to start)

Then figure out how Seventh chords are built from the diatonic major and minor scales. Learn diminished chords, , ninths, suspended fourths, sixths, Elevenths and extended chords and Polychords.

before you know it there isn't much else to learn, other of course than spending the rest of your life figuring out how to use them in the best context LOL (or throwing all that learning away and buying an electric guitar and playing power chords all day long Smile)

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 May 2012 at 7:11pm
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:09pm
Well it all sounds very happy in SE Land!  How exciting.  Though I don't think that even Boyzone can make good music about happy events.  For quality music you really need some quality misery, with a generous topping of angst.  If you've ever loved and lost, or loved and never had, then this might ... ahem ... strike a chord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-XZ_dN4Hc&feature=fvwrel

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine" Broken Heart

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:23pm
Nice one tim, I think I've been missing out there, need to listen to a lot more Pearl Jam I think.

Whilst in doom and gloom mode, can't resist this one Wink

PS if that isn't the living proof that the Sisters of Mercy were a goth band I don't know what is LOL

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 May 2012 at 8:25pm
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Gemma - glad you liked it.  I suggest you start with their first album "Ten".  If looking on YouTube, the tracks Alive, Jeremy, Even Flow, Porch, Garden etc.

(Hope that doesn't count as a double post for today.)
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 9:07pm
Thanks Tim I'll give those a listen Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>
  Share Topic