the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 58>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 11:31pm
More Elvis Costello???

Well what the heck, whilst I was there this came up at the top of the links

One of many favouites, can't just be one when it comes to Elvis Costello

And a tribute to Storm Thorgerson who passed away today - best know for Pink Floyd album covers, I think this was also one of his creations?

Whilst on the subject of Pink Floyd

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 1:38pm
another goodie for the forum's Elvis Costello contingent. personally, i prefer this thumpin' cover to Elv's slower version on the b side of "I Cant Stand Up For Falling Down"
what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpW1thGues
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 4:15pm
I like both versions, the Dave Edmunds version though is the one I remember best and it has the edge for me too. 

This vid has them playing back to back

Edited by GemmaJF - 20 Apr 2013 at 4:16pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 4:18pm
Can't remember if we have had this one or not, but who cares eh!

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 9:18pm
hmm. elvis' has a kind of sinister feel to it that isn't quite congruent. i do love them both though. i think the story behind it is that elvis 'gave' the song to dave edmunds when he was drunk and later regretted it. thats some line up btw (rockpile) dave edmunds was a very talented and underrated guitarist, nick lowe on bass then terry williams who later went on to replace pick withers as drummer for dire straits. 

inspired by the specials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6YWX4OL0o

another elvis song originally recorded by someone else then later by elvis himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zznoDllvTRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2k-FbGV5PY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 8:07pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xBpUHjJguw

Cry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:56pm
got to be one of the greatest movie scenes of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmRuJByoVs

cheers ray

tim
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 8:02pm
ok i don't normally go in for this kind of Facebook thing much guys, but just this once, here's CB (and a couple of girlfriends) chatting backstage post-gig with Bruce Foxton from The Jam at Salisbury Civic Hall. It was the 5th time CB has supported them.

it was a great night all round with both bands well-received by the punters and i'm pleased to say that Brucie is a very warm and agreeable sort - unlike some other famous people the band has supported!
NB world's most wonderful human being far right!

Gemma, you said earlier in this thread that you didn't think much of Nick Cave when you met him. What was it that irked you? Was it the time-honoured, over-inflated ego effect?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 9:45am
Yep exactly that Ben, it was very out of place at the time as it was a pretty friendly scene where knowing band members was the norm. He definitely had that aloof ego thing going on.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 6:08pm
That's a shame. Some people explain such behaviour as simply an occupational hazard for the susceptible - like say, silicosis to a miner; that if enough people keep fawning and telling you how wonderful you are, it may well end up going to your head and infecting you.
People like Brucie and New Model Army must have some natural immunity then!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 58>
  Share Topic