the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photographing lizards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photographing lizards
    Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 12:47am

Hello all

I wondered if anyone has got any tips on photographing lizards under refugia?

I tried to get one the other day, but only got half of the body.  My feeling is that you have to have the camera ready before you lift the refugia. 

have no problems photographing them when they are basking on top, but this week lizards have been found underneath refugia, and i need photos for the survey reports! I just want a decent picture to show to a client what a lizard looks like, and to show that they have been found on the site too.....Smile

Regards

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist
David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm
Hmm. Always a tricky one with Lizards. I've found it can be quite random. e.g last April in South Stack I found a bush full of them and when I held my hand out one actually walked onto it - However the other day in Cheshire even though it was only around 9-10 degrees they all moved like lightning making it impossible to photograph them...

Sorry I've just realised how unhelpful this post is...
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 4:00pm
Can you catch one and photo it?

Alternatively get there early when they're still cold. If you fold part of your roofing felt over, they often appear to spend the night hidden in the crease and are quite docile early in the morning.

P.S. i like the sound of a bush full of tame lizards!
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm

Thanks guys.

Thanks David for that comment. I'm finding the same thing at the moment and in temps of about 8 degrees. Will try the hand trick though or get there much earlier Smile.  Good idea Noodles to try and catch one - will give that a go.

I like the idea of the bush full of lizards too!Smile

I put some refugia down and then went back to record the location of them on the GPS and to my amazement there was a lizard basking on top of one already. I wish i had my camera at that point, but typically I never have my camera when there is an opportunity like that!

Thanks again and will upload when I have a decent picture. Might take some time though Smile

Regards
hetty
SE Reptile Ecologist

Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
I have taken photos of grass snakes that were under refugia. Like the other replies it was very hit and miss.

My method was to have camera in one hand, focused at the approx distance, bend down camera at ready, with the other hand lift the refugia quickly and keep finger firmly pressed on the shutter.
managed to get a few Confused but quality of shots is never good

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
Well at least they are real shots not set up ones keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:58pm
You just have to train them well...

Zootoca vivipara sharpen

One from my garden, I only waited about 3 hours for it take up position directly in front of the lens. I don't think I've taken a better picture of a genuine in-situ common lizard since, this one dates back to 2005!

As for animals under felts, just catch them considering it is for the benefit of the client/recording purposes.

Edited by GemmaJF - 23 Apr 2012 at 5:59pm
Testudo Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by sussexecology sussexecology wrote:

Hello all

I wondered if anyone has got any tips on photographing lizards under refugia?

I tried to get one the other day, but only got half of the body.  My feeling is that you have to have the camera ready before you lift the refugia. 

have no problems photographing them when they are basking on top, but this week lizards have been found underneath refugia, and i need photos for the survey reports! I just want a decent picture to show to a client what a lizard looks like, and to show that they have been found on the site too.....Smile

Regards

HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

Whilst all of my photos are taken naturally, I have had a go at taking a pic whilst lifting refugia(not with much success thoughEmbarrassed).
You have to assume that when you lift the refugia, your reptile will be there(but only for a split second or two). So set your camera up first, and be prepared to shoot ASAP. Its not ideal conditons, its a bit hit an miss, but you might get lucky tooWink
Testudo Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

You just have to train them well...

Zootoca vivipara sharpen

One from my garden, I only waited about 3 hours for it take up position directly in front of the lens. I don't think I've taken a better picture of a genuine in-situ common lizard since, this one dates back to 2005!

As for animals under felts, just catch them considering it is for the benefit of the client/recording purposes.

Nice lizard shotWink.

Hang on........I thought all UK wild reptile photos were taken in a genuine in-situ styleeBig smileWink
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm
Beautiful photo Gemma Smile all my photos a genuine in-situ shots, you can tell because they are mostly mediocre Wink
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic