the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photographing lizards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:40pm

Very nice picture Gemma

That one is basking though. You have got them well trained.

The basking ones are easy as you can creep on them and take a photo (as long as you move quietly and slowly and if they go, wait a few minutes and I can guarantee they will come back).

At the moment under the refugia , they are moving at frightening speeds even at low temps at 8 or 9 degrees.  Going earlier when it is cooler would be a much easier option or having the camera ready before I pick up the refugia.

I'll certainly have a go at catching them,  Wish we had been evolved with a third hand, because that would be so useful in these cases.Smile

Maybe it would be easier to just show a live lizard to a client - but you know they (lizards) are never there when you want them to be. Smile

Regards

SE Reptile Ecologist

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:32am
You should easily be able to take lizards from under felts in any temperature, especially at 8 or 9 degrees. 

The trick is to really believe there will be one there and as soon as you see one drop a cupped hand over it. Then use the other hand to 'pick' it out from under the cupped hand. If you hesitate and wait until your are sure you saw one it will have gone! Roll the felt back with the left hand and have the cupped right hand ready. 
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
Gemma, do you catch flies with chopsticks whilst blindfolded?  Maybe standing on one leg?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
No, but I do have a reputation for being able to take lizards off the top of felts.. ..you either have it or you don't Wink

Jon C (Herpetologic) impresses me though, I've literally seen him run at animals in the open I hadn't even spotted and catch them Big smile
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:59am
All my photos like most of us do are are taken are of wild insitu, as set ups in my opinion do not represent nature as it is . its ok having stage manage snaps for posters or book illustrations. Like Ians pics some time its hit and miss.keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm

Hi guys

Well, you would not believe my luck yesterday.

managed to get a decent picture of a lizard and they were so torpid that i could stand there for hours and photograph them.

Picture attached

It's not a great picture to be honest, but is the best one that came out.

Regards
HW
SE Reptile Ecologist

PS: seem to be having problems uploading photo. Will post as soon as I can as I am on lunch break at the moment. Thanks for all the tips though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

You should easily be able to take lizards from under felts in any temperature, especially at 8 or 9 degrees. 

The trick is to really believe there will be one there and as soon as you see one drop a cupped hand over it. Then use the other hand to 'pick' it out from under the cupped hand. If you hesitate and wait until your are sure you saw one it will have gone! Roll the felt back with the left hand and have the cupped right hand ready. 

Gemma, I was kidding about the third hand and catching them Smile. Always feel like I don't have enough time on my hands. LOL But guess that is just the nature of the job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm

Ok, third attempt at uploading this photo.

Temps were about 12 degrees but had been raining all morning, and then the sun came out. This one was right on the very edge of some Onduline and seems to be clinging to the grass. Gemma - didn't need to catch this little one. Sat there posing for me for ages. Shame i had to pull myself away from it as I had to finish the survey, otherwise I would have stayed there for hours.

HW, SE Reptile Ecologist

Edited by sussexecology - 25 Apr 2012 at 8:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic