the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How about an in-situ shot?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:46pm
But I don't want you to go away.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:57pm
Well as you say Richard, people make their own decisions.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 5:50pm
Oh - it's a shame if this has gone sour. I have found it very helpful and interesting.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:45pm
I hate to keep repeating stuff but the licence system is a big joke that protects nothing when nothing is done about the real offenders who are destroying the heaths and habitat seem to have the freedom to act with Carte Blanche immunity beyond any form of licensing restrictions if you want to develop habitat areas for other purposes at the detriment of the animals ,nothing is ever done even when the likes of me has reported incidents to the good old Nat England lot ................ PS theses reptiles are only rare because of habitat loss and development not through the odd snap shot looker. Also disturbance seems to have a nil affect on animals breeding ,Example the cliffs at Boscombe proves that with the amount of wall lizards that bask on the zigzag path they even ar seen running across the footpath with thousands of rowdy holiday makers passing bye every day. Some dont even move unless some imminent threat like some body making a grab for them.......But I do agree some regulations are needed for their protection to insure that species are not collected like rare birds eggs as in the past. First we need rid ourselves of the pc lot who would even stop kids netting sticklebats that will soon be rare if we keep draining land and filling in ponds for housing etc what we need is some common sense not some twats sitting in Brussels who would not know a frog leg from a fried sloworm,dictating regs to justify their tax payers fueled salaries. A Moaning Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 18 Dec 2013 at 8:07am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:56pm
Just a little dig the signal crayfish that the environment agency wants eradicated from all UK waterways officially you need a licence to remove the plague.

Edited by AGILIS - 17 Dec 2013 at 7:57pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:08pm
I've been away so long, this is a new thread to me :-)

My take on this is a kind of Venn diagram, where you have the letter of the law, the spirit of the law and common sense sometimes overlapping and sometimes with bloody great air-gaps.

For Sand lizards, the advice I give people locally is that if they stick to paths, in the right places they will see plenty of lizards, and I do not consider this disturbance. Same goes for photography.

If you go off piste looking for sand lizards, then the law should be used to dissuade non-licensed people from doing this, as off-piste there are all sorts of protected things you could disturb beyond the odd La. Most reptile surveys involve refugia set away from paths, so checking these in La or Ca areas ought to be a licenced activity.

My 2p.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 2:12pm
Nice to see you posting Steve, yours seems a fair interpretation. Though I expect that some would say 'as long as they are careful' off-piste all will be OK. 
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 4:14pm
I won't rise to that, though I'm tempted. We gave the whole question a very thorough airing two years ago. I've just looked back over the thread, and I hope people of all persuasions learned something from it. 

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 4:40pm
Be tempted Richard. 

I've made it pretty clear in the past that the advice I would give is not based on my own opinion but very much the fact nobody can give a definitive answer until there is case law. 

Though I am not so naive to not realise most herpers could be very tempted in the moment to step off the path and get a better look at an animal, or just check to see if there is another one sitting around the corner, no, well maybe a bit further on now I'm here then... Wink If I'm right (without reading back through the whole thread) you were thinking of photography for a book, surely you would want a little more than what most people could see for themselves from a path? Or perhaps I misunderstood the intentions. 
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 5:05pm
No, my concern was not with photography. As for the book, yes, some recent observation did go into it, but most of the writing was based on memories from times before these laws. I discussed the question in the book, in what seemed to me a balanced way.

My main contentions in the thread were that watching from paths was acceptable, and that the advice given by NE and some other experts supported this view. The thread started with JamesM's regretful perception that he wasn't allowed to go onto an SSSI to look for Sand Lizards at all. 

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic