the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How about an in-situ shot?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 10:24pm
lol no way you can wield an axe without using your back! hope it doesn't disable you for too long.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 11:16pm
Cheers Tim I need a job 😁 keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:05pm
Cracking debate that guys. I follow Tim in my praise to all concerned. I am going to make more effort to join in with the forum in 2014. I miss you guys, especially Keith he just says what I and most of us I am sure are thinking!LOL
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:34pm
hope so dave...we've missed you!!!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 5:26pm
Gemma is absolutely correct that you need to work within the law. I think what rankles a lot of us on here, and leads us to pushing the boundaries, is that whilst we might disturb small numbers of the protected species, we feel that large numbers are wiped out by the very organisations supposed to be protecting them!That is no excuse I realise, but it's easy to see where that mindset comes from.
I'm disappointed that over recent years more and more species have become out of bounds to all but a few (and I don't mean licensed photographers), but equally I know that public pressure is truly bad for many species.
It's like not having your dog on a lead in an area where all the signs tell you to, because you feel it doesn't apply to you as yours is well behaved and does not cause damage.

Suz
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 5:37pm
Suzy,

I wasn't suggesting that anyone shouldn't work within the law. Our debate was about how the law should be interpreted. I am not suggesting that we should see ourselves as exempt special cases, like the dog-owner you mention, but that the law actually permits responsible watching. Natural England confirmed this. My concern was that in interpreting the law unnecessarily strictly we might ourselves place species out of bounds - but I think we thrashed the question out and got at least to a place of approximate agreement.

I agree with you that the main threat to these animals comes from habitat destruction, not from people who want to look.

Richard
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 7:10pm
I worded it badly Richard, I guess.

Suz
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 7:33pm
Sorry - didn't mean to bite your head off.

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:15pm
I've got to say Suzy I thought you worded it very well, in fact you pretty much summed up how I was feeling about the debate.

I'm as sad as anyone that it might put people off looking. 

I'm more sad that I hear from schools that they are afraid to pond dip because their pond has GCN. Far sadder to me than a handful of individual wanting to view animals, is a whole class of school kids, who never get to see the amazing life that lives in a humble UK pond.

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 9:01pm
I agree with you there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic