the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:21pm
So far have only seen one single solitary thing of interest, although to be fair, it was very large and impressive, the iPhone photo doesn't do the colours justice....

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:59pm
Hi everyone,

Fungi all over the shop at the moment. Here's a couple more if anyone's still interested!

Postia stiptica is common on logs and told from similar species by the lack of blueing when crushed:

and how about this fabulous find?! An exquisitely-formed, fully protected 'Red Data List'/Biodiversity Action Plan rarity i was very thrilled to see for the first time this week:

Bearded Tooth Hericium erinaceus
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm
Apologies Chubsta! Only just noticed your post. A nice Chicken Of The Woods you've got there - shame it wasn't a bit more fresh. If you haven't tried them, they taste good but the texture tends to be a bit different to other fungi: they are drier, firmer - a bit like tofu i'd say. However, a word of caution, i once cooked a tasty meal combining it with some Shaggy Parasols. Well i don't know which species did it, but my partner was sick all night (i was fine). Which just goes to show, that although a species may be regarded as 'edible', it still might 'disagree' with some people.

Edited by Liz Heard - 01 Oct 2016 at 12:21pm
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:34pm
nature really is incredible!

tim
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 12:25pm
Yes, it often out-competes the imagination of sci-fi writers doesn't it Tim?
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:21pm
Hey Tim, returning to herps (albeit non-Brit) for a moment and perhaps, illustrating my point quite timely, how about these tadpoles on a Japanese island that can live in extraordinary temps:

http://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/news/show/lang/en/id/2118/dir_id/0
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:41pm
nature finds a way

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 7:52pm
Love that 'Bearded Tooth'! havent ever seen anything like that around here.

We are going out hunting for fungi tomorrow as the temperatures have dropped and it has rained a little over the last week, hopefully will find something, although i am sure it won't be as good as you seem to find regularly!

here is our only notable find during a recent holiday on the Isle of Wight, can you id it for us please? It was pretty big, probably about 8 inches top to bottom.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:12pm
Hi Chubsta,

Hmm...this is a young fungus and as such, a little tricky as it's yet to reveal it's full characteristics. Certainly, pics of it when more mature would have helped. That said, this looks like it's on oak and i suspect that it's Inonotus, quite likely I. dryadeus. Another possibility is Shaggy Bracket Inonotus hispidus.

Sorry for late reply - problems with my computer!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm
Great find...yum yum yum!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-37703204

Edited by Liz Heard - 24 Oct 2016 at 7:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 30>
  Share Topic