the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 30>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:37pm
Lovely selection Ben. Thanks for bringing some colour and life in the "dead" season!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 7:00pm
Thanks guys, glad you liked it.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
cheers ben Clap

tim
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 2:16pm
lovely images, it has been very poor so far in the South East with nothing really worth mentioning, really nice to see some beautiful fungi that we have never seen before.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 5:20pm
Many thanks Tim and Chubsta.

At the risk of this thread becoming even more of a blog than it already is, here's a few more then...

Boletes can be tricky to ID in the field and both myself and a much more knowledgeable member of my fungus group spent quite a while tracking this one down, but we came to the same conclusion that it's the occasional and very pretty, species Ruby Bolete which goes by several latin names including Xerocomus rubellus, Hortiboletus rubellus, Boletus rubellus

Found under Oak.

Found in Gloucester Park and commonly seen trooping or in rings on lawns, Fairy
Ring Mushrooms Marasmius oreades. Despite being very tasty, a lot of guides advise against eating them because there are poisonous lookalikes; namely Clitocybe rivulosa/dealbata, which sometimes grows with or near them.
However, in truth, that's like saying a sand lizard is a dead ringer for a common lizard. You soon get your eye in. Don't take any chances if you're not confident though FFS!
Fairy Ring Mushrooms have flattened and very tough and fibrous stems which are surprisingly hard to break, and a large, prominent nipple in the centre of the cap.

Stages of development;

Stropharia pseudocyanea. Slimy, beautiful, hallucinogenic, occasional:

Bloody gorgeous: The Bloodred Webcap Cortinarius sanguineus:

Blackening Russula Russula nigricans actually starts off dirty white in colour but slowly succumbs to the dark force as it matures, until....

Couple of spore prints of Lepista species.

Lepista panaeolus. An uncommon species of ancient grassland:

Lepista saeva and Lepista nuda:

Finally, a cornucopia of Hedgehog Fungus Hydnam repandum (the most i've ever seen in one place) from an official foray to a woodland in Wiltshire.

Easy to ID - spines not gills or tubes underneath:

Edited by Liz Heard - 26 Nov 2015 at 9:28am
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 7:24pm
Great photo's again! Some beautiful colours there, as usual ones i have never seen before. We are keen birdwatchers but never manage to id small birds much beyond 'small browns' and 'larger browns', but it never puts us off, the same is with fungi - we tend to only ever come across the same off-white 'mushrooms' with the occasional fly agaric so it is nice to know there is plenty out there that we may stumble upon one day...

keep the photos coming, if nothing else at least if i ever spot something different i have a chance of perhaps id'ing it from some of these specimens
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:19pm
Thanks Chubsta.

Here's some more finds then.

First an early fruiting species to look out for shortly. Despite the common name, it often occurs in tufted clumps on wood chips.
Opinions seem to vary regarding edibility, but they have an off-putting, mealy smell to this pair of nostrils. Yuck.

Spring Fieldcap Agrocybe praecox

Some common - but no less pleasing for it - species:

I'm cautiously sticking to genus only for Peziza. From 3 different sites in Glos, Jan 2016:

Yellow Brain Fungus Tremella mesenterica brightening up a wintry tree:

..and a nice showing for the very familiar Ear or Jew's Ear Fungus Auricularia auricula-judae:

Seen lots of Oyster Mushrooms Pleurotus ostreatus recently too. Often past their best!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:30pm
Neat photos Ben. Wouldn't have guessed there were so many out now.
Chubsta, never saw your post including identifying brown birds. A good help can be to look at the colour of the legs, if you only get a chance to focus on anything. Learning their calls and songs can often help as well. So much online help with bird song and calls nowadays.
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 7:58am
great photos, wonder why there is so much more variety in Glos. than around here, we really do see very little even though we walk through loads of different woodland... Will hopefully get out in the next couple of weeks as the weather warms up and see what we can find.

regarding the birds, never thought to look at the legs, will give that a go! I tried a couple of apps that could supposedly id birds from their calls but they didn't even get a blackbird right so kind of gave up - to be honest though, I think half the fun is that we have no idea what we are doing, lots of whispering 'its not in the book' and then deciding its a Dunnock.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:49pm
Not sure why Glos is so good for fungi (and plants too) Chubsta, but glad that it is, and there are quite a few rarities.

Pleased to find these the other day, as they aren't very common. Most of the Agrocybe cylindracea UK records are from the south west and they are told from similar related species by (among other clues) the persistent ring on the stem. These were growing on oak roots but they are found on a range of hosts, but most commonly, poplar and willow:

Gill arrangement is adnate with a decurrent tooth:

Off topic, but rather than start another thread, i thought i'd throw this in too.
The relatively rapid process by which nature 'reclaims' disused industrial sites is both fascinating and reassuring, and gazing through the chain link fence around a disused city car park recently, i smiled at the horsetails punching up through the tarmac and thereby creating gaps for hawk's beards, hawkweeds, ox-eye daisies, wild carrot and other opportunists to exploit. More unexpectedly, on the roots of one of the horsetails, i spotted the leafless, parasitic plant Broomrape Orobanche minor putting in an appearance......

cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 30>
  Share Topic