the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the id's - we do have an app on the phone to help us identify stuff but so many seem similar (as you have pointed out!)

Hopefully will be able to extend our knowledge a bit more in the coming year...
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:07pm
No probs Chubsta, glad to help and good luck with foraying!

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 1:41am
Here's a few more for the thread then folks. Hope you like 'em!

First up is Velvet Shanks. Not a high-end,luxury toilet manufacturer, but Flammulina velutipes: a very common and edible, arboreal species that is usually triggered into fruiting by the first frosts.
The orange caps are small (usually 2-8 cm). They grow in dense clusters and are very slippery. The stems blacken as the mushrooms mature. Taste pretty good!

Young specimens:

Mature ones (sorry for blurry pics! ):

Underside:

Staying with common, slimy but edible fungi that grow on trees, this one is Porcelain Fungus Oudemansiella mucida:

Next up, some inedible but incredible brackets:

Mazegill Daedalea quercina.

The genus name is derived from Greek mythology. Daedalus was the craftsman who built the wings for his reckless son Icarus - the rookie bird-man.
He also built the Minotaur's labyrinth or maze:

Somewhat similar (though not the underside) is the aptly-named Blushing Bracket Daedaleopsis confragosa. Gorgeous species, although these aren't the best spcimens and i now see that there was water on my lens!

Underside:

Spotted this Leafy Brain Fungus Tremella foliacea on a plank beside a pond. Tremella are parasites of other fungi (often Stereum species).
In dry conds they dessicate and shrink down - only to swell up again after rain.

And here is one of the Stereum: S. hirsutum. Very frequent species and the common name is Hairy Curtain Crust.

Hey, stop sniggering you! :

The downy upper surface:

and the underside...

Last one for now. I'm no good at ID-ing slime moulds, but when i found this one i hoped it might be the glamorously-named Dog Vomit Slime Mould (yes, that's what it's called!!) Fuligo septica.

However, i was only partially correct.
My pics were sent to a top slime mould expert who very kindly gave up his time to reply that what i'd found was one of several species (or breeds?) currently referred to as 'Dog Vomit Slime Mould'.
Who would have thought the name would be so popular?

But it was "very likely" Mucilago crustacea and not Fuligo.

cheers folks!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 10:58pm
Great pictures - it has been a very barren few months for us in terms of spotting anything interesting but am really impressed at the variety you have here, may give us a little hope!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:46pm
Thanks Chubsta and good luck.

Was out herping at the weekend and bumped into an impressive bumper crop of Blushing Brackets on a log:

Looking forward to the spring-fruiting species such as Morels (Morchella and St George's Mushrooms now.....
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:56am
They look amazing Ben, thanks for posting.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:21pm
Gorgeous!

As the weather has started to improve a little here in the South East we should be able to get out and about a little more. We have always tended to think of fungi as things of the autumn but oi guess we just haven't been looking hard enough at other times of the year
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 2:34pm
Thanks folks.

Yes, although the main season is late summer autumn, there are species to be found at any time of year, especially after a good drenching of rain.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:47pm
Hi folks,

Not a lot going on (understandably given the season) on the forum lately, so here's a few more of my fungi finds. The abundance, diversity of form, and - of course - the amazing colours of mushrooms at this time of year, help to offset my miserable moping at not being able to find any slow worms etc for months!

WARNING SHIP-MATES! Lengthy post ahoy!

First off, from a remote and disused Worcestershire churchyard, this is gorgeous, velvety Inonotus hispidus:

The spore-bearing underside is perhaps even more remarkable. It's like some kind of sugary confectionery or a geological sample!

The next three species prove that more subtle hues can be every bit as powerful as bright, strident colours.

With blackish caps invaded by blue and a gentle hint of pink in the gills, this is Entoloma. Description and habitat points towards (E. serrulatum i'd say, but i'm not 100% and (unlike the others here) I haven't sought confirming opinions from other members of my fungus group for this find.

Beautiful but poisonous Cortinarius is the largest mushroom genus in Britain, Europe and the world and they are very hard to ID in the field, so i'm making no attempt to take this next one to species level, but how about the gently stunning lilac-mauve seeping through the gills of these?
You can also see a few rust-orange vestigial flecks of the weblike 'cortina':

The strength of the red 'blushing' in edible Agaricus sylvaticus, like the yellow 'staining' of Agaricus xanthodermus, is very variable:

Specimens from various stages of development:

Photographed on log beside a derelict canal lock on the (long-disused) Thames and Severn Canal, Black-footed Polypore Polyporus (sometimes Royoporus) badius.
Fresh specimens in their prime (the caps darken and the fungus becomes very leathery with age):

Still reading? Well done, and thanks!
Only a few more...

Honey fungus Armillaria mellea was once thought to be a very variable species until genetic investigation a few years warranted a split into several very similar but distinct species.
This one is Bulbous Honey Fungus Armillaria gallica. Distinguishing characteristics include a stem ring that is ephemeral and the swollen stem base which gives it it's name;

A delicious Field Blewit Lepista saeva

Artist's Fungus Ganoderma applanatum is so-called because you can draw on the underside:

and FINALLY (thanks for staying with it folks) a spectacularly unspectacular species visually, but with an interesting ecological niche. Ochre Cushion Hypocrea fulvinata only grows on the underside of fallen (arboreal bracket species) Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus)

Upper surface:

Underside:

Cheers,

Ben
Cotswold Fungus Group

Edited by Liz Heard - 31 Oct 2015 at 8:35am
superdart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:59pm
Great post,thank you....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 30>
  Share Topic