the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fungi 2011
    Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:22am
Hi, thanks very much for the id's, the bracket was very fresh and extremely 'spongy', can't remember any smell at all but I was getting distracted by nettles at the time so may have missed that, plus it was a very windy day, it is a shame the photo doesn't give an idea of the scale of the thing though as it was huge, by far the biggest we have seen.

I will go with the id of the Iris, it was in old woodland near Canterbury and well away from where anyone would dump garden rubbish, our next walk there will be much later in the year so guess will be able to confirm via the berries, thanks very much!

Edited by chubsta - 16 Jun 2017 at 8:22am
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:22am
Hi Chubsta and Suzi

The bracket fungus with the scaly cap is Dryad's Saddle Polyporus squamosus (Dryad meaning a tree nymph or spirit in Greek mythology/folklore.)

This is a quite frequent find on trees and logs and said to be edible but only when young and fresh. However, I've never tried them myself because personally i can't get past the species very strong, mealy smell which i find utterly repellent.
Sweaty Trolls Saddle more like.

Agree with Suzi that the plant is an Iris. If you found it well away from human habitation or other activity (such as a fly-tipping location) and feel you can rule out a garden escape of one of the many exotic Iris cultivars, then this is very likely Stinking Iris Iris foetidissima which grows in woodlands and sea cliffs with a scattered distribution across the south. It is one of only 2 native Iris species along with the aquatic Yellow (or Flag) Iris.
It certainly looks like that to me. But if you can return to the spot again then it's possible to confirm ID by (1) crushing a leaf; you should get a disagreeable (though not disgusting) smell which is likened by some to roast beef. Or (2) later in the year, you should see clusters of large bright red seeds hanging in clusters like painfully inflamed Chalfonts. These persist through the winter sometimes.

Cheers
Ben

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 6:47pm
Looks like some kind of iris. I'll try and find it...
Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 6:04pm
Don't get much in the way of fungi here in the South east it seems, perhaps it is just too dry around here, anyway, was very pleased to see this beauty today, nothing special in terms of species I'm sure but a great example!

On a slightly related note, anyone able to identify this plant for me, I am rubbish at such things....

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 5:20pm
edible? tasty?  

That's a rather grey looking slowie.

tim

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:44am
Thanks both.

Not a good specimen since it's been chomped by something (any idea of the culprit?), but here's a less famous grassland Puffball species.
When very young it is spiny (third pic) but these spines quickly wear away.

Yet again, another species with a recent name change (sigh! ); the Mosaic Puffball used to be Lycoperdon utriforme but now sounds more like an out-of-town superstore than a fungus.......

Mosaic Puffball Handkea utriformis

From under a permanently in situ, good old-fashioned piece of decaying corrugated 'tin' (none of yer modern felt nonsense!) beside a canal, a gratuitous Grassie/slowie embrace:

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:07pm
lol. the fungi photos are nice but the slowie ones are awesome. Those morels are tasty though. I treated my partner to an 8 course taster menu at a 2 star michelin restaurant in Mayfair a few years ago. It was weird. asparagus ice cream...no thanks! one course was morels and they were amazing though.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 1:45pm
Well I'm glad you said they were hard to spot, as I scrolled down I was thinking, are hub caps really a prized table species in Europe! LOL

See I do read your posts, just far too lazy to say so on the whole. Embarrassed
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:01am
Keep looking and you'll find them one day i'd say Mr J.

Bit of an odd afternoon on Thursday. I went back to the above location for another slow worm hunt and this time struck lucky. 2 males, under different wheel trims and another under a small piece of old carpet.

Encouraged by this success, i then drove 350 m or so down an adjacent side road to check out another roadside bank, where under a THIRD lost car wheel trim was ......a big male slowie..... plus right beside it another 8 Morchella!!

Oh happy day!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:53pm
Excellent find, the closest i have ever got to them is an episode of Masterchef...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic