the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can Lizards get ticks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adderz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Lizards get ticks?
    Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 6:24pm
Hi All,

Just wondering if Common Lizards can be bitten by ticks? The Common Lizard in this picture seems to have something behind its front leg and I am not really sure of what else it could be. It was in Scotland so there would have been plenty of ticks around.

Cheers for your thoughts!

Rob 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left....
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:27pm

Hi Rob

Yeap, they certainly can. We see them a lot on Common Lizards and Sand Lizards down here, especially when there are deer around. Certainly these appear to be fairly typical ticks.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:21pm
I've noticed that the ticks nearly always seem to be in that position, just behind the front legs. I wonder why. Is it the warmest part of the body?
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:02pm

I should imagine it is simply that this is the main position which combines relatively soft scalation with the inability of the lizard to remove them. If a tick attached further back on the body the lizard would simply turn round and nibble it off!! Certainly seen them doing this with mites.

Chris 

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:09pm
Interesting - that certainly makes sense. I suppose it's also the position in which the ticks are most sheltered from being snagged as the lizard moves through vegetation.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:13pm
I don't remember seeing them on snakes. Have you? Could be because they'd be forced off as the snake went through thick stalks and roots.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 5:03pm
I've seen ticks on grass snakes that were otherwise debilitated or poorly. I'm guessing perhaps a healthy snake which regularly sloughs would be fairly tick free, whereas one in very poor condition may not be sloughing.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 8:02am
Here is a pic of a juvenile La with a tic on its arm pit that was basking at Stoborough in May, Is a dab of parrafin on the ticks body still a good method of treatment as its not advised to bust tick due to infection as tick dies with head still in the skin?? keith

Edited by AGILIS - 09 Sep 2011 at 8:05am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 5:12pm
without wishing to state the obvious, its worth bearing in mind that humans can get ticks too. and that they carry a nasty disease (Lyme's).
a mate of mine (a deer stalker) has got it. he diagnosed himself by researching his symptoms on the net and then having it confirmed by his GP.
from what hes told me, its pretty nasty and very debilitating, so beware herpers!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm
Certainly worth 'de-ticking' after being in bracken for the day. I've had a few!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic