the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wasp Spider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasp Spider
    Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:10pm
The recent KRAG jolly was good fun and included setting up a new adder survey, along with visits to several of my study sites. At one site we were very lucky to find several specimens of the 'wasp' spider (Argiope bruennichi). Quite a spectacular beast and only a recent addition to the British fauna.

Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:26pm
Now where have I seen those before?
Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:32pm
Hi Lee, thanks for the photo, they're amazing aren't they! I'm sure that here in my area of south Hampshire I'm seeing a westwards spread of this spider. Around 6 years ago there was only one field locally that they were found in, despite searches for them elsewhere. This year we've found numbers of them in another 2 fields about 4 and 5 miles away where there were none in previous years.
As a quick aside I'm seeing more humming bird hawk moths here as the years go on, 10 years ago very rarely seen here. 5 years ago I saw 2 in that year. This year I've already seen 2 so far with a few friends seeing them out and about as well. (Despite this being my least active year for years!)
I wonder what else we'll see more of in time??

Martin.
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:46pm
I couldn't see a good one of these yesterday, caused by a Gall wasp Diplolepis rosae and known as a Robin's pin cushion, found on wild roses

Dozens of them on the site with the funny spiders (ok so I didn't know what they were)

Was a lot of fun Lee, certainly a break from lonely hours in the field.
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 2:20am
i remember you asking me david, a few years ago if 'Argiope' had arrived in the weald, but i havn't found it yet on our 30-odd heathland sites in surrey, NE hants & W sussex _and i'm looking out for it; what i have found is more webs of 'Attypus affinis' the purse-web spider, under tin and logs; and the last two years have shown an increase in the green tiger beetle (Cicendela campestris) and sand wasp spp. along the 'kilometers of bare sand' we create & manage for sand lizards

nearer to home, nicola dragged me out of bed on june 22nd to catch a glimpse of a hummingbird hawk moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) feeding on the high privet in our frontgarden in SE london;
and up the road, her parents had the almost unbelivable pleasure of 8 poplar hawk moths (Laothoe populi) fly in through their open french-doors at c 3.00 am on august 9th _they have an impressive row of tall, mature black poplar trees out the back

john
Herpetologic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herpetologic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 7:22pm

Yep i have found the Wasp spidr along the M27 in Hampshire and around the Langdon hills in Essex.

I have found some individual spiders had positioned their web above the reptile refugia i had put out along a stretch of motorway (M27). i felt that the spiders were utilising the reptile refugia as many grass hoppers lay out int he sun on the rfugia perhaps the spider was hoping that the grass hoppers would jump into the waiting web?

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 10:44pm
Could be something in that, caught this one this morning busy building a web, and noticed a few other species have had the same idea too after you mentioned it. The tins attract dragonflies mostly hawkers as well as crickets at this site and there are plenty cocooned in the webs over the tins.

Edited by Gemma Fairchild
Skywalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 12:07am
Argiope is common accross the Inner Thames Marshes at Dartford, Crayford, Erith, Rainham, Wennington and Aveley (the RSPB's Rainham reserve) and I'm told elswhere on the grazing marshes in the Thames Estuary.
Simon (KRAG)
Herpetologic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herpetologic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2003 at 9:55am

Yes the Species is quite widespread over the Thames Corridor. I have found specimens in Averly (in pubs car park), also it exists in Basildon at Langdon Hills NR and in Willow Park where local people have it in their gardens!!!

Records of this spider can be sent to Peter Harvey, I think he is one of the main recorders for spiders in the Spider Recording Scheme, see this link

http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/argiopespread.htm

If you are carrying out surveys (reptile) on Motorway Verges then pleaselook out for this species. I have found them on the M27 in Hampshire. The spread of this species is possibly due to transport (cars and lorries) being piggy backed by the spider.

It is a recent addition to the UK Fauna is it an 'Alien' species?

Regards

Morpheus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 1:33pm
Are they venamous?
I found loads at a holiday camp in poole in dorset on a thorny yellow bush.
arent thier other name orb weavers?

Edited by Morpheus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic