the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late Starters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Starters
    Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 8:31pm
Hey Guys,

I went to have a look over a localpond yesterday (tuesday). Look at these, if they don't get going soon they'll have to hibernate in there without ever leaving!
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 8:32pm
But this one is just starting to finish off his jumpers
RobV
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:30pm
They look like toad tadpoles to me??
Paul Hudson
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 2:57pm

It ain’t time yet is it? No froglets or toadlets out yet up north.

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:04pm
pretty sure they're toads - black and congregated together.

you're not much further north than me sue and i've had froglets for over a month.

tim
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:29pm
Frogs or toads whatever, like Tim a lot of local toads left the ponds mid June around me.

R
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:30pm
PS, Sue, do you really need to have that banner about killing animals?

Can't we have another banner now please?

RShocked
RobV
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:45am

Well the froglets ain’t left the golf course pond yet I don’t think. Last looked about two weeks ago and only some had tiny legs growing and I can tell when they’re leaving cos loads die on the concrete getting out, they get sunbaked to death. No froglets within my lawn yet, I snip the grass for my rodents every morning and if they’re there I’d have seen one by now. & as for the toadlets, outside work gets flooded with them, they come down in an army and we haven’t had the army yet. Either they’re late to march or a catastrophe has happened, I think they’re just later than southern toadlets though. Must say I did see one lone toadlet (or maybe perhaps a froglet) about a month ago not far from the canal, they must develop at different speeds in different areas. I should keep a diary of froglet and toadlet dispersing times for future reference.

Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

RShocked

What's it worth? 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm
here in SW i live on the Severn floodplain. indeed my house and garden have flooded several times since the 1950s.
its flatter than a Which?'s page. sun all day on pond= frog metamorphs dispersed weeks ago.
9 mile away another pond on a NW? facing hillside slope of the Cotswold escarpment in a pond with high, solid fencing there remain unmetamorphosed frog taddies.

Sue where is that "better place"?
i wouldnt mind going elsewhere myself. have you got any tickets?
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Baby Sue Baby Sue wrote:

Well the froglets ain’t left the golf course pond yet I don’t think. Last looked about two weeks ago and only some had tiny legs growing and I can tell when they’re leaving cos loads die on the concrete getting out, they get sunbaked to death. No froglets within my lawn yet, I snip the grass for my rodents every morning and if they’re there I’d have seen one by now. & as for the toadlets, outside work gets flooded with them, they come down in an army and we haven’t had the army yet. Either they’re late to march or a catastrophe has happened, I think they’re just later than southern toadlets though. Must say I did see one lone toadlet (or maybe perhaps a froglet) about a month ago not far from the canal, they must develop at different speeds in different areas. I should keep a diary of froglet and toadlet dispersing times for future reference.

Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

RShocked

What's it worth? 

Well, what do you want?

R
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic