the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Forum Archive - Lost data recovered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Forum Archive - Lost data recovered
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:18pm

I am pleased to say that I have now managed to recover ALL of the missing authors and threads following on from the attack on, and collapse of the original website.

Unfortunately, the database was so corrupted that it did not prove possible to import them into the new Forum. As a result you will now see a new menu option "Archived Forums". This leads to a basic snapshot of the forum as it was at 29th March 2011. It IS basic, there is no posting and navigation is somewhat simplified but hopefully fully usable.

I am particularly pleased as the "lost" members, and their posts, included people like David Bird and Caleb - long time valued contributors to the forum.

In due course some of the older topics (i.e. those without posts for the last 3+ years) will also be transferred to the new archive thus saving precious and expensive space on the new server.

Brief technical details (for the tech minded):-

The corruption of the old MS Access database led to a loss of data integrity which in turn meant that the table relationships were completely ineffective. While it is probably technically possible to restore the missing data to the new forum it was simply not practical. Accordingly the data was exported to MySQL and a new "read only" forum created reading that data using PHP.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
prett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:59am
Did you try third party software to repair corrupt access database..
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
Yes - several - albeit mainly, but not exclusively, free. As well as quite a few of my own tricks - in fact it was only these which allowed successful usable conversion into MySQL and recovery of most of the data into the current database.

prett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:27pm
I am asking this question because some days ago, my access database get corrupted, due to this I was not able to perform any activity on  access database then one of my friend told me about  Stellar Phoenix Access Recovery Software which shows all my corrupt access database objects preview such as tables, records, forms etc in demo version. After that I had purchased full version of the software, now all my access files are repaired and I am able to do what I want in Access database. Do you have any experience with this software if not try its demo version.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 2:27pm

Hi. I certainly didn't try that software - but I managed quite easily to recover the database to the extent that all data and structure was visible. However, referential integrity could not be restored in addition to which the software itself attempted, in places, through SQL to enforce such integrity but was unable to do so. The only remaining option at the time was to simply strip out the affected rows which left the database intact and operable using the software but less 10% of records.

Since, of neccessity, due to space requirements, it was always my intention to hive off a number of old records this actually fitted with the plan to have a separate "read only " archived forum - which has obviously now been achieved.

Chris 

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:47pm
thanks chris.
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:16pm
Is there anyway to search in the archived forums please?
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:30pm

Hi Mark

Sorry, not as yet. I do hope to implement this but it is a matter of finding the time to write all the code!

All the best

Chris

Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:41pm
No worries Chris, thank you.

Can anyone remember seeing a photo of a grass snake pretending to be a cobra on the forum?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 8:11pm
Yep, it was Al Hyde that posted it. Big female grassie doing the full flattened head, rise up off the ground trick! Still the most impressive image of a grassie I've ever seen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic