the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Forum Archive - Lost data recovered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:18pm

I am pleased to say that I have now managed to recover ALL of the missing authors and threads following on from the attack on, and collapse of the original website.

Unfortunately, the database was so corrupted that it did not prove possible to import them into the new Forum. As a result you will now see a new menu option "Archived Forums". This leads to a basic snapshot of the forum as it was at 29th March 2011. It IS basic, there is no posting and navigation is somewhat simplified but hopefully fully usable.

I am particularly pleased as the "lost" members, and their posts, included people like David Bird and Caleb - long time valued contributors to the forum.

In due course some of the older topics (i.e. those without posts for the last 3+ years) will also be transferred to the new archive thus saving precious and expensive space on the new server.

Brief technical details (for the tech minded):-

The corruption of the old MS Access database led to a loss of data integrity which in turn meant that the table relationships were completely ineffective. While it is probably technically possible to restore the missing data to the new forum it was simply not practical. Accordingly the data was exported to MySQL and a new "read only" forum created reading that data using PHP.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic