the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall Lizards
    Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:10pm
Hi Folks,

Well I thought I'd get some photography posting off to a good start with an addition from yesterdays herping foray here in E.Kent. 

In a similar fashion to those from Bournemouth, the Wall lizards here in Kent are set to expand their distribution, taking advantage of the White cliffs and surrounding landscape. Recently, a few members of KRAG visited several sites in order to confirm both recent sightings together with a visit to known and well established colony. 

We were not disappointed and here are the results of some to the great encounters of the day.

All the best,

Brett 

Edited by B Lewis - 31 May 2011 at 2:34pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 5:16pm
Good pics mate I go a couple of shots on Sunday despite the freezing cold winds 4 brave souls made a show and I nearly got one but to quick even though cold keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:24pm
Thanks Keith, they are very quick. I have quite a few shots of these now but it's from hours spending time getting up close and personal. I think they are more confiding in Dorset where I think they are more exposed to people walking about.. :-) 
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:52pm
Great shots Brett, they really are a striking looking reptile

Clap
RobV
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 11:02pm
Thanks Rob, and yes you're right they are indeed.. It's nice to have a different subject practically on the doorstep but shame it's a non-native..! Saying that, I must try my hand at the rat snakes in London and Wales.. :-) 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:05am
The ones on Portland seemed very tame to me when I saw them. They would reappear very quickly after being scared under cover by my arrival and were a dream for a photographer. I loved them but am aware they're not native.
Suz
kristoferjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoferjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 11:05am
Very nice picture,Lighting is well,You capture photographs with good angle.How many distance you takes these photographs.I must say that you good photographer.
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:33am
Thank you Kristofer..

I was only a few feet from the Lizards as they are quite use tot he coming and goings of people at this particular site. In fact photography of wall lizards in this country is relatively easy with lizards that are really quite obliging.. 

For this image I was using my Sigma 150mm macro lens on a Canon 1D MkIII, handheld and just working my closer and closer and very slowly without sudden movements. 

Kind regards,

Brett 
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:30pm
Hi Brett

any idea how and where they lay their eggs?  the Bournemouth wall lizards have the benefit of warm sand which I guess the ones on the White Cliffs wouldn't.
B Lewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 1:19am
At this particular location there is a lot of sand as the underlying geology is sand moving more towards chalk the further east you go.. They also use the loose, alluvial soil in which to tunnel in as well as gaps in the masonry and the rockery. In fact eggs were discovered in a wall cavity at another nearby location..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic