the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

female smooth snakes overwintering when gravid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 4:20pm
I'd agree, and given the late start to the season, I'd also suggest more evidence that young are being carried over this year in slowworms as well as adder and smooth snake.  Unfortunately this obscures my original question as to whether this phenomenon is a natural part of the breeding cycle rather than simply a rare response to an unusually poor summer.  As always, more data required!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:05pm
quick update - I finally managed to get a sample of three smooth snakes examined by an expert vet yesterday which all appeared gravid to me, and he was able to confirm that they had reasonably advanced young inside already.  So this would seem to show that smooth snakes are not only capable of carrying their young over winter but also that this is a reasonably common thing, rather than a one-off due to an individual snake being in poor condition or an unusually cool summer in the previous year.  More data needed, but it's a start.  Next question, are these embryos the result of mating last spring, or, as has been recorded recently, autumnal matings...?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:08pm
...I should have added that he used ultrasound to visualise the embryos.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:21am
Hi Will glad to see your getting about what area was you near haven't managed getting to any of my favourite spots lately getting twitchy since getting rid of my caravan keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:27am
Morning Keith!  usual spots within sight of Corfe Castle, my favourite place on earthBig smile
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:37am
Wil oh for a breath of sweet gorse scented air before the holiday season starts in the area Keith
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:38am
Very poetic Keith, well put.  Shame there's already some kind of pop festival in the field opposite Hartland Moor on Soldiers Road at the moment - one discarded cigarette and the whole NNR goes up in smoke...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:49pm
Why the effing hell do they have to do this stuff next to a sensitive place beggars belief
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic