the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

female smooth snakes overwintering when gravid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 7:30am
I think they will stand a chance if the winter is uniformly cold, rather than lots of mild days in which their remaining fat reserves are depleted (but not warm enough to feed, of course) - thats the worst sort of weather for torpid reptiles.  Fingers crossed!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:55pm
Will do neo smooth snakes usually feed before hibernation or do they survive on the remain of the yolk sac? 

Like Lulia I'm quite concerned for the little guys, they look so cute in the pictures. Unhappy
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:04am
Thought I reconised that tree Will keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:32am
I assume they normally feed Gemma, but to be honest Ive never found one with a big bulge in it unlike neo adders which can look ridiculous when they have swallowed a full size common lizard, as you know.  Keith - yes, one day we will end up in the same place at the same timeLOL
Iulia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 11:11pm
I am ridiculously sentimental about baby snakes I admit ......  Embarrassed
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:51pm

Hi Jon,

both of my Peublan's used to have a pretty hefty tail twitching session at cage cleaning time but the worst of all was a Durango Mountain Kingsnake, simply went bananas with his tail and also demonstrated an imitation of a Grass Snake / Hog Nose, by voiding itself everywhere... nice

R

RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 8:41pm
Two clearly in advanced state of gestation from today...

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:11pm
Wrong thread I know, but I found four very new looking slow worm young last week under a Coroline sheet. This is all very hard to prove but they looked like this season's and would tie up with some of my slowies in the garden looked pregnant when they emerged from hibernation.
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 3:17pm
It's all part of the same thing, Suzy, I'm sure - I also saw one very small slowworm neo yesterday in Dorset, as well as some very thin looking females.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 3:03pm
From two weeks ago. I'd say gravid.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic