the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can poison from toads harm frogs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can poison from toads harm frogs?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 2:07pm

A guy at work told me that toads secrete a poison from their glands if they feel threatened by a predator and that he was holding one and felt the wetness of it, well that got me thinkingą. If IĘve got a bucket of frogs and toads together could the toad poison get on the frogs and hurt them?

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:34pm
I thought everyone drank it, you know get a bit of a dry
throat in the field, squeeze a toad for a quick bit of
refreshment. If really bored licking them is fun too.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 9:46am

Well yeah, I told the guy it was probably just piss cos I get pissed on all the time but he wouldnĘt believe me. Never knew it was just water though, I thought it was proper pee. Some teenage lads helped me frogging once and they were putting toads in their pockets and up their sleeves, I told them it wasnĘt wise but boys are boys and they didnĘt mind getting mucky. DonĘt think IĘm up for drinking it ever though, not even to see if it does taste like water.

Hopefully toads I catch ainĘt too stressed in the bucket though IĘd better remember that if I add in a squashed alive one ever. At the end of the night I grab the injured ones and take them down the road to the bridge to be run over properly, if I find a healthy frog or toad on the way that gets added in aswell before I release them again. Does toad poison only affect frogs? Could the poison from one toad hurt another toad or are all toads immune to toad poison?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic