the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best time to make a pond repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texlab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best time to make a pond repair?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 10:46pm
Hello, I've just moved into a house with an established pond with very many frogs and perhaps newts (the previous owner says there are newts, but I haven't seen any yet).  We notice that the pond liner is very damaged and the pond drains rapidly requiring almost daily top up in this weather.  We plan to replace the pond liner and wonder when is the least disruptive time to do this?  The pond has no fish and we've no plan to introduce them.  Any advice on the safest way of moving and housing the frogs or spawn/tadpoles for the day or so that it will take to replace the liner and put the plants back.
Thanks!
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 11:07pm
The best time to do a repair is in the late autumn - as if there are newts using the pond then this year's tadpoles will be turning into little newts and leaving the water from mid August through September into early October. (It depends whereabouts in the country you live, the further south the earlier). Frog & toad tadpoles leave much earlier and there probably won't be many left now.
Some tadpoles may still not have left the water and some adult frogs may hang around in the pond all year. Therefore if you have some buckets or large containers you can save some water, plants and animals to re-introduce back into the pond after you have relined it.
Try not to fill it with tap water as in many parts of the country it has relatively high levels of nitrates that can encourage algae. If you can divert rainwater from the house gutters into the pond or into water butts from which you can fill the pond, so much the better.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

texlab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texlab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:14am
Thanks Chris,
We are in London, near Ruislip Woods. The froglets are indeed leaving the
pond and hanging around in the long grass. I assume the very fat black
tadpoles still in the water may be the newts. We have two large water butts
- thanks to the previous owners - so refilling with rainwater is possible.
Now all I have to do is work out how much pond liner we need, remove the
water (perhaps saving it in a kids paddling pool), remove the many aquatic
plants, catch any remaining frogs, replace the liner and repeat in reverse -
simple!
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 11:05pm
Hi, newt tadpoles do not look like frog or toad tadpoles but by this time of the year will look like very small newts with feathery gills at the sides of their head. The tadpoles remaining are probably frog or toad - frog ones are generally chocolately brown and speckled whereas toad tadpoles say black until they metamorphose into toadlets. 
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 6:28pm
My liner also got damaged this year.
It appeared to be the ice in the big freeze, since all the tears were at the surface and only occured during the period of the freeze.
Rather than replace the whole liner and disrupt the ecosystem that had developed over 4 years, I grabbed some pond repair tape.
You are also in my neck of the woods (me Hillingdon) so you should be able to grab some from Maidenhead Aquatics in Wyevale garden centre near Hillingdon Hospital.
Worked a treat for me and stopped the water leaking out.
Costs about a pound a foot.
However if the tear is at the bottom of the pond, you're going to have to empty the pond even for a repair, and in that case a new liner would be better.
November-December is best and you can also get rid of all the leaves at the bottom at the same time.
Make sure to sieve out any overwintering frog and newt tadpoles (I get about 50 every year) though.
Reformed Teetotaller
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:23pm
Just to add to Chris's comment re newtlets. I have some in my pond and they are very dainty creatures - easily overlooked. Not so hefty as a tadpole of frog or toad.
Suz
texlab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texlab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:31pm
Interesting - I've not seen any small newts, but the pond is presently covered in fine pone weed that's dense enough for the froglets to walk on. This is entertaining for all - including our cats and dog who have all fallen in the pond in the last week.  The fat black tadpoles must be toads then.
The liner is really badly torn - I suspect that it wasn't quite big enough when installed.  Not a patch job.  The only reason it's not drained dry is because of good old London clay.  I will however check out Maidenhead aquatics for a new liner.
Thanks to all.  This is a very interesting forum

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic