the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

canal argy-bargy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:13pm
had enough of TRUE stories?

click away then.

fancy another?

strong stomach?

ok, lets RAUK!

its lunchtime at school. given that its summer, 2nd year pupils flock down the playing field to play their little games of trying to impress one another or simply kick a ball in the sunshine.

a group of us are standing around when one spots a dead frog in the grass.

it was far from fully grown though certainly not a metamorph. its innards were exposed and, in retrospect, i suspect that it had been assualted by an avian.

a youth bends down and, taking a piece of string from his pocket, ties one end around one of the frogs legs. then, in an attempt to win the crowd over with a brand new "trick", he stands up and begins to swing the ensemble around his head like some crazed and misinformed cowboy.

well boys will be boys.

after a few orbits however, and with all of us looking on, the string must have worked its way loose. because to everyones astonishment and utter hilarity, the frog suddenly flew off and went straight............ into the open mouth of a mesmerised onlooker.

you dont need me to tell you how he reacted.

a sick story with a foul ending. ok.

but what a shot.

ben
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by lalchitri lalchitri wrote:

Ken Livingstones 'criminal' record also
involves newts AKAIK.On LBC during a mayoral debate he was
asked about his criminal past and I remember him saying it
involved rescuing newts from a drying up pond where they
would otherwise have died.They must have been GCN's and he
must have been unlicensed.

So where is the crime in that? - rescues do not need
licenses!!!

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 2:37pm
why did ken say that if it wasnt illegal? it suggests that he thought it was. (so did i). thanks for the info then j. though this prompts the question of how a "rescue" is defined legally.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 8:55am
Good Q Ben; I was told a few years ago that rescuing a GCN from the path of an oncoming car would not require a licence, provided it was immediately released on the other side of the road.  Likewise a pond with lots of well grown larvae which was in imminent danger of drying out could also have its larvae taken to a nearby pond so they could complete their metamorphosis as an emergency action without a licence.  But what if this act were to become an annual event, ie the translocation of larvae from one pond (known to be liable to desiccation) to another was planned in advance ?  my interpretation is that this would then be licensable, but I don't know what others think?
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 4:40pm
thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts will. good points there.

heres another angle;

a wealthy landowner dug a lake outside his home in nearby tetbury. he put large fish in it. probably carp.
the following year quite a few adult GCNS turned up there to breed (no-one knew from where). so this was colonisation of NEW breeding habitat, not established. he broke no laws reg GCN.

it seems accepted that GCNs and predatory fish do not make equal bedfellows with the formers larvae losing out heavily to fish predation.

i knew this and was concerned but given that i was only the mate of the shepherd there, it wasnt my place to inform any herp body of the situation and go through proper channels. or even say or do anything since its my mates boss.
but given that the long-term survival of a BAP species at the pool was in jeopardy to possibly not even a native species, could i have removed them unlicensed since they surely needed "rescue" from plight?

or is it "tough luck newts" and let what will be, be? despite their "1981 special protection"?

and if i can remove, to where? a pond of my choice?
it would have to be far enough away that they couldnt return.

cheers will,
ben
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic