the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Protecting Slow worms from cats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarozinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protecting Slow worms from cats
    Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:55pm

My neighbour and I have a thriving community of Slow worms and Common frogs in our gardens, our problem being that we also both keep cats and dont know how best to protect the lizards and frogs.

Any suggestions?

Up to now I try to provide cat free zones in the two main areas that I have found the frogs and slow worms. I also let the borders grow full of weeds in areas where plants are sparce, partly to give them extra cover and partly because I use the dandelion leaves to feed some of my other pets.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 12:52am

Places that they can go under - like pieces of tin or black plastic sheeting weighted down are suitable for both frogs and slow worms. Any plastic I put down has half a dozen slow worms under in a matter of days and usually some frogs too. There are cats here (not mine) but they next to never get anything out of my garden as its all under cover.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 7:33pm
i cant help you regarding lizards but i can tell you that despite having multiple cats all around me (neighbours) and owning one myself, ive never yet seen a cat with a frog. my Monty has never brought anything in other than a dead rat in the 7 years ive had a frog pool. and this year over 100 specimens came to breed.
i wouldnt worry too much.
in the wild, frogs have many enemies but hopping away is often simple and effective.
and lets not forget, frogs like to come out when its wet. cats hate it then. and when its dry its the opposite. cats out, frogs in.
the two dont meet that often.
try plenty of cover for the lizards = rocks, woodpiles etc and encourage ivy growth.
good luck!
ben
Taryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 1:11pm
I have a problem with my cat, during the summer he catches several Slow Worms every week.  I have put lots of things around the garden for them to hide under but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  I'm at a loss as to what else I can do....apart from getting rid of the cat. 
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 6:24pm
Is he catching them in your garden or nearby? If it's nearby then not a lot you can do except ask the neighbours to provide cover. If they are very garden-proud you might not get much of response! A lot of folk don't give a damn when cats catch slow worms, so good luck!
Suz
Taryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 11:05pm

Hi Suzi.

Good point and wasn't sure about that so I've been watching him this week.  Although he has caught a few in our garden it seems like he is bringing most of them back from a bit of waste ground between two houses in the next road.  

I managed to save one, it's got a few tooth holes in it but it's ok at the moment and healing quite well.  Just not sure where to let it go now.  I'm reluctant to release it nearby in case he catches it again. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic