the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st neo of 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st neo of 2008
    Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 3:15am

Hi all,

attched is a pic of this years hatchling - it measured 152mm and is a male. Now even if it hatched yesterday 3rd july, take off 70 days for incubation (approx) and sixty five days for gravid period, that means that a mating must have happened around the 15th or so of February! I remember Alans post saying a grassie sighting on the 8th of February, so that must mean almost as soon as they emerge, they're at it! Enjoy this little fella, aint he cute!

R

RobV
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 5:10am
Blimey that's early!

I've seen very two very small Nn under tins at work during the last week, which confused me greatly, as I assumed it was much too early in the season.

Is this year's juves the only likely explanation ?
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 8:51am

I saw a few tiny neonates yesterday

Previous studies have shown autumn mating in grass snakes, also delayed fertilisation and spring hatchings have been observed in Europe.

That could explain it!

Edited by Mark_b
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 3:32pm

Steve /Mark,

Yeah, I must admit I thought it was a bit early as well. Maybe they do over-winter in the egg. Wouldn't that be amazing if that were the case. I can't remember, did we have a hot period in Febrauary?

R

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:33pm

Ah those were the days...

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic