the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this guy doing!!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this guy doing!!??
    Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 4:47pm

I really didn`t like the way this chap handles grass snakes.   He may well be doing some type of send up or micky take, I am not sure.  Whatever he is doing there is no need to handle an animal like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4WsrxJbMM&feature=relat ed

Edited by Peter
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 5:56pm

Very poor, he actually looked scared that it would bite him

Most grassies if allowed to curl around the hand will calm down in seconds after the initial thrash as I'm sure you know Peter. Hope nobody from here takes this as a lesson on handling grass snakes, absolutley awful to see him lifting it by the tail tip without supporting the animals body weight, obvioulsy no idea of how delicate the creature he was handling actually is  Hope he doesn't try that technique with a youngish adder without controlling the sharp end

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 3:51am

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Hope nobody from here takes this as a lesson on handling grass snakes, absolutley awful to see him lifting it by the tail tip without supporting the animals body weight, obvioulsy no idea of how delicate the creature he was handling actually is

Exactly!  I have never been bitten by a grass snake.  They tend to wrap around the hand within seconds of capture as you rightly state.  The video is a terrible example to set and leaves anybody who doesn`t know better with the impression that grass snakes are dangerous to handle.  I shuddered when I saw the animal swinging suspended by the tip of it`s tail with no support like that.

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:50am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Hope he doesn't try that technique with a youngish adder without controlling the sharp end

maybe he should try it...teach him a lesson!

tim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:57am

maybe he should try it...teach him a lesson!

tim

The thought never crossed my mind

Seriously though if anyone is going out without a lot of experience and is wondering how they ought to handle animals just ask. We have plenty of people here with ooodles of experience that can give the correct techniques that will not harm the animals. I'm about to start a thread on handling neo grassies, so I'm not afraid to ask for advice myself despite having caught and handled several thousand animals.

AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:18am

Well he also has one about the Adder!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6TiPFcRm8&NR=1

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:33am

What a complete idiot.

Something tells me that he may have watched a Steve Irwin programme or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDk6YwHv5D0&feature=relat ed

CRIKEY MATE WHAT A WHOPPER!   WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

Edited by Peter
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:26pm
Looking at his hand movements I'd say he's been watching Austin Stevens too much. And it looks like he filmed both clips in Epping Forest, have to keep an eye out for him....
Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:09am
He's going to get bitten if he keeps handling young adders like that without supporting and controlling the front end.. if not by the adder by me if I come across him
adamanteus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamanteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:44pm
He seems to think our Adder is the same genus as the Puff Adder and Russells Viper!  Last time I looked they were Bitis and Daboia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic