the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this guy doing!!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this guy doing!!??
    Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 8:55am

I see that Ben has already been elevated to the status of "expert";

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2 1090

I sincerely hope that he has mended his ways and doesn`t continue to needlessly tail and aggravate harmless natrix species.

Edited by Peter
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 6:46am
From a personal point of view - I have no experience of snakes at all, so I'll just look and photo them until such a time when I've been shown the correct way of handling the animal.
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:52am

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

Just to say that there are a few non-venomous snakes you should handle with care, i.e. hook and tail. Mole snake comes to mind, get bitten and you will probably need stitching up

Thank you Tony.

I was referring to British non venomous snakes when I mentioned the use of a snake hook as being somewhat unnecessary and ridiculous, but failed to mention so.

The full thread which Ben responded to is here; http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20113

Edited by Peter
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:41am

Yes Tony and the red-tailed rat snake is another. Notoriously naughty disposition and powerful with it. I've heard also that the mangrove snake is a nasty, but I beleive this is back-fanged so, may not count?

Anyway, thanks for the update Peter, what Ben has said is fair enough I suppose, as is what you have said about weight on the tail etc. lets hope he takes this on board. I think your idea of him re doing the video is a great idea, this time with the snake around the fingers and with the list of predators for Grass Snakes going way beyond the badger/fox bit, afetr all, there are probably around 30 or so predators without even thinking about it.

Cheers.

RobV
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 4:55am

In the interest of fair representation, here is a reply from Ben Waddums regarding the same video which I recieved on another forum;

Hiya Guys,

I have read all the comments posted on here. I would first like to thank you, not for simply spending the time viewing my clips (whatever you made of them) but for getting involved, taking time out and discussing them (positive or negative). I am really encouraged that there are so many caring and concerned people out there and far from upsetting me, this forum has really made me feel a great deal happier about our herpers and animal lovers.

I don't intend to sit (or fall off) the fence, and I will defend my views and will try and answer as many points, queries and questions as I can.

First off, I can absolutely assure everyone that I am not an attention grabber/seeker or whatever. I believe my first video was that of my diving in the local river. This was entirely a bit of fun when it was hot enough to do that with a mate and a couple of dogs. Of course there was no snake there and if there had been I would certainly have let him/her swim off rather than being stupid enough to risk damaging it. I am really not in need of youtube as a platform to show off on, I don't need the attention and I don't want it. I am simply doing it to showcase our wildlife in an interesting and unique way and if I ride the wave of my own enthusiasm, I'm sorry, but that's really what I am like - take it or leave it and apologies to anyone who doesn't like it.

I am not trying to copy Steve Irwin (oh and by the way, I have worked with Austin Stevens at Tigress Productions and consider him to be one of the very worst 'wildlife presenters' (or is that actor?) out there). On the other hand, I had immense respect for Steve Irwin. I believe his message about not sitting back on the long lens and merely observing wildlife, but getting right in there and dragging you in with him, up close and personal with the animals was a revelation and highly highly successful in (as he would say it) getting people jazzed up about wildlife and each species' conservation and preservation. I think if people get involved with wildlife on that level, for that reason and with that eventual aim in mind, they will be doing alot of good on this planet.

Here I'd like to admit to some mistakes. I absolutely agree that I should have put a warning and/or statement of some description up before and after my clips and if I make any in the future, this is what I will improve on. I AM concerned that people will try and copy (I hope I don't come across as arrogant enough to use the term 'imitate') me and injure the animal concerned or heaven forbid (!) themselves. I would love for viewers to go out there and try and find the species I show, but certainly not damage or unnecessarily disturb them in any way because of it (adult female adders for example in april/may/june when they can become stressed and reabsorb their embryos). This is something I will address in future clips and I sincerely thank you for your comments.

My Vipera Berus info was off a little. I don't really have an excuse for this one. I have admitted to it in the comments if people can be bothered to read them and all I will say is a) it was my first adder at that location and my first youngster and I was literally, lost for words - hence the post commentary, and I also felt I was stressing the little girl out and so the clip is actually, as I'm sure you noticed, the same shot several times, repeated/flipped/reversed/flopped/zoomed, because after about 15 seconds I let her go! Apologies...as I say, its in my reply to the comments and b) Thank you for the info concerning hedgehogs and birds of prey/corvids.

Alot of my negative comments concern...concern for the animals, which is why it makes me so happy that people care. I can, hand on heart assure you that none of the animals I've found on my walks with a camera were harmed in any way. It would never enter my head to treat an animal with any less respect than my friends, which I consider them to be. I considered that Grass Snake to be happier being tailed than being held around the body or (seriously..heaven forbid) around the neck or head. I would never touch a reptile's head or neck and all of my captures are held as gently as possible. For 95% of the Grass Snake video, although I was in contact with the tail, he was given support on the ground or my other hand and I was simply keeping in contact with him.

I see it like this (and this goes for the Grass Snake, the Adder, the Gopher Snake, the Rattler, the Red Rumped Tarantula and everything else) if I get bitten, I look like an idiot...which wouldn't bother me personally, but if I was say a taxi driver and you got in and I said 'yer hop on inside mate, I've had 43 crashes so far, lets see what happens this time...' would you think I knew what I was doing? Probably not! I think 'dodging' a bite by watching an animal's mood and knowing what he or she is thinking, (which can only be said, I believe, with respect, if you have had alot of experience with the species) is far more impressive and demonstrates a much greater understanding and therefore respect for the animal concerned, than getting bitten and watching the blood ooz out and giving the animal a bad reputation. Again, just my own personal opinion. (and mate, there's a big difference between a fast reaction time and 'flinching')

I was until recently a 'hot house' keeper at my local zoo and, although no-one seems to be questioning my experience, I just wanted to take the opportunity to let people know that I am fairly well qualified as a safe herp handler, having been in contact with some great stuff! Saw-scaled vipers, burmeses, emerald boas, alot of scorps and tarantulas, sailfins, crocs, matamatas, snappers, rattlers, house snakes, terrapins, snake necked turtles, basilisks, plateds etc the list is almost endless...does this prepare me or qualify my to pick up or touch wild species, certainly not. But I think it gives me a degree more respect, knowledge and practical understanding of SOME of them. (can a large rattlesnake reach my chin within this range or not...for example!)

I see myself as a familiar animal (that being a human being) for others of my species to use as a link between them and the wildlife I am showing.

As far as 'wild' jobs and practical experience goes, please ask me for it if you disbelieve me, but to list a few: Slow worm conservation project for Cardiff Uni, Sand Lizard and Smooth Snake habitat surveying for Dorset wildlife trust, RSPCA worker on the Napoli sea bird disaster, Water Vole researcher on the Grand Union canal, Amphibian swabbing for protection against the viral pandemic...Slightly further a-field, I have been involved with GAFI, the Great Apes Film Initiative, which uses innovative ideas and award winning documentary films as outreach material, travelling to areas such as Borneo and the Democratic Republic of Congo, and showing these films (ie the BBC's Cousins) to the local people who have to live in the presence of these apes as well as to the government ministers, responsible for the civil wars or deforestation that are so devastating to these creatures.

So to sum up. Thank you. I admit some mistakes and yes, we do all make them. What you see in my clips, is what you get. I'm not acting, or I'd be somewhere else right now. I have grown up with and handled dozens, if not hundreds of reptiles and consider myself to have at least a bit of experience with them and other reptiles. (I go on walks to my favourite herping grounds most weekends and rarely touch or pick up what I see). I am content with a photo most of the time but, and if I have a statement, I guess this is it;

To merely view, observe and pass by wildlife that is in decline around the world and across the UK would be selfish. Why? Because one can do so much more. You can go and find and handle and touch and smell our wildlife (drawing the line at adders) and I believe if people don't, then we are going to start seeing extinct species very, very soon. If the current approach is not working as well as it probably should, why not try something a little different and unique? Alot of these people that really experience wildlife hands-on (not wrestling with them for heaven's sake, but gently) and get involved, go on to become conservation officers, environmental ministers, biology teachers and conservationists to name but a few. Keeping it local...British wildlife, especially our herps, aren't going extinct because people are taking photos and vision of them and experiencing them...they are becoming extinct because of our greed. Our farming culture and our insaitable appetite for houses. If I can excite one person and make them care about our wildlife, just that one extra degree which means they take a conservation themed career, then I will be forever a happy person.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. I have my own views, just as you have yours. I won't get drawn into a slogging match but I would like to reply to sensible comments and replies of your own. Sorry for upsetting anyone and apologies if my spelling's a bit off here and there, I did a zoology, geography and conservation degree with wildlife art thrown in, not english.

Thank you for doing what you do, as you know, our wildlife needs our help and our love more now than at any other time.

Happy herping, cheers,

Ben

My reply to the above;

slangman wrote:
i for one havent seen a grass snake in the uk but dont really see what the fuss is about . If he tried to handle the snake with hooks etc , it would certainly suffered more seing as how frisky it was .

The reason that the grass snake in the video was so frisky was because of the discomfort of being suspended by the tip of it`s tail. I have encountered grass snakes on countless occasions and can count on one hand how many were as frisky as the one in Ben`s video. All of these calmed down within minutes to wrap themselves around my hand.

I don`t know of anyone using snake hooks on non venomous snakes of any kind (EDIT: In the British Isles). It certainly would be a ridiculous and unnecessary thing to do.

As is tailing a harmless snake.

It is not the way to handle an animal, leaving it dangle off the ground for periods of time with no support.

I caught a female grass snake today as it happens. She was an individual that I have encountered previously and was in the middle of her shed cycle with very milky eyes, a time when snakes are at their most vulnerable and defensive. She wrapped herself around my hand almost immediately. I was able to collect a sample from her as she musked, and then put the lid on the sample tube, all with the snake in or rather around my other hand. I wasn`t bitten either, and I didn`t swing her around by her tail.

Members of the public should not be encouraged to tail harmless grass snakes or adders for that matter! If you look at the famous TV snake handlers that have been referred to previously, when a snake is tailed, the weight of the animal is still supported either by a stick or the ground. and not left dangling for periods of time. Tailing a grass snake is competely and wholly unecessary as it would be to use a snake hook.

Here are some images of wild grass snakes taken seconds after capture. No dangling by the tail, and absolutely no snake hooks! Laughing

Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

benwaddams wrote:

First off, I can absolutely assure everyone that I am not an attention grabber/seeker or whatever. I believe my first video was that of my diving in the local river. This was entirely a bit of fun when it was hot enough to do that with a mate and a couple of dogs.

I did think it was funny.

benwaddums wrote:
(oh and by the way, I have worked with Austin Stevens at Tigress Productions and consider him to be one of the very worst 'wildlife presenters' (or is that actor?) out there).

I would never have guessed! We agree on Austin Stevens at least. Wink

benwaddums wrote:
Here I'd like to admit to some mistakes. I absolutely agree that I should have put a warning and/or statement of some description up before and after my clips and if I make any in the future, this is what I will improve on. I AM concerned that people will try and copy (I hope I don't come across as arrogant enough to use the term 'imitate') me and injure the animal concerned or heaven forbid (!) themselves. I would love for viewers to go out there and try and find the species I show, but certainly not damage or unnecessarily disturb them in any way because of it (adult female adders for example in april/may/june when they can become stressed and reabsorb their embryos). This is something I will address in future clips and I sincerely thank you for your comments.

Fair play. Cool

benwaddums wrote:
Alot of my negative comments concern...concern for the animals, which is why it makes me so happy that people care. I can, hand on heart assure you that none of the animals I've found on my walks with a camera were harmed in any way. It would never enter my head to treat an animal with any less respect than my friends, which I consider them to be. I considered that Grass Snake to be happier being tailed than being held around the body or (seriously..heaven forbid) around the neck or head. I would never touch a reptile's head or neck and all of my captures are held as gently as possible. For 95% of the Grass Snake video, although I was in contact with the tail, he was given support on the ground or my other hand and I was simply keeping in contact with him.

Ben, having caught more grass snakes than I care to remember over the past 30 plus years, the only time that it is neccessary to grab the animal is during the initial capture, after which the snake entwines itself around my hand. It holds me, I don`t hold it.

benwaddums wrote:
If I can excite one person and make them care about our wildlife, just that one extra degree which means they take a conservation themed career, then I will be forever a happy person.

Fair comment also. I would be a great deal happier if you reshot the grass snake episode without all the unnecessary tailing however. Hopefully that will reduce the instances of copy cat behaviour which may be less "careful" then you were. A few warnings regarding adders wouldn`t go amiss either. Wink

Peter

EDIT. Ben if you have the time, you may want to read the thread here; http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2585 &PN=1&TPN=1

Some of the most experienced British field herpetologist`s are members of this forum, many of which have already commented on your videos. I am sure that they would be only too happy to discuss your videos with you and advise you regarding handling techniques.

Hopefully he will also read this thread and perhaps seek advice from this forum`s membership.

Edited by Peter
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:57pm
How did he miss that one in the lake  Well we can't say he isn't entertaining I guess.
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:44pm

care in the community is a double-edged sword!

tim

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:19pm
Did you see this one by him? LINK
Enough said.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

I can't think of anyone else, ever, that has actually managed to make it look as if a grass snake might bite!!!!!!

Did you see Paul's post last year where he actually did get bitten?...and it drew blood...but everything bites Paul so it doesn't count.

(only joking mate)

Re Mr. YouTube...half of me thinks 'bless him, at least he's keen'
the other half thinks maybe he needs a little more time, experience and training before using such an influential medium.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 5:27pm

I can't think of anyone else, ever, that has actually managed to make it look as if a grass snake might bite!!!!!!

He could make a carp look dangerous.

If a crime ever deserved a punishment, this is a crime of total bulls**t and the punishment should be for him to have to sit in a bath filled with grass snake gunk! Now that would be worht videoing.

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic